Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to sit down with my AKC breed book and really take a close look at the Aussie breed standard. It turns out I really k=don't know the standard as well as I thought I did.

Some things that I thought were faults arn't.

I had always thought that pink spots on the nose were a fault but the standard says

"In Merles it is permissible to have small pink spots on the nose not to exceed 25%, which is a severe fault."

So they way I understand it, Merles are allowed to have small pink spots on their nose less than 25% coverage without fault. is this correct? Or is this one of those things that can be a matter of opinion?

I also always thought that toeing out was a fault in my breed, but it turns out that there is no mention of foot placement in the standard.

So now that it seems Hawk no longer has these two faults (because they aren't faults) but it seems he has a new one that I only barely noticed before. It seems he is straight in stifle when the standard says

"Stifles clearly defined, hock joints moderately bent."

Here is his picture notice the stifles *blah*

Some good things I found that Hawk meets well are,

Moderate bone,
He has a perfect neck and his head and eyes are nearly on cue, although his nose may be just a slight bit too pointed.
He has great ear set and carriage
He has a nice moderate mane and his coat overall is perfect.
He has nice tight round feet

Here is a recent video of Hawkeye and I at an ASCA show. Feel free to pick it apart with your opinions and how I should better handle him, (I am a beginner handler)

·
Banned
335 Posts
Certain things are not mentioned in all standards, even though they are considered flaws in most/all breeds. Monorchids and cryptorchids are not specifically mentioned in all standards because it is a universal disqualifier. Dogs that toe out (have and "east-west" or "e/w" front) are not universally disqualified, but with few exceptions it's universally considered undesirable (corgis and bulldogs spring to mind that might have an acceptable e/w front). An e/w front might not be an eliminating factor except for in close competition for your breed, but you can bet in that close competition, a judge will favor a dog with a straight front.

Yep, you're interpreting the nose part of the standard correctly, btw. If it's there in the standard it's not a matter of opinion, but most judges would probably prefer a nose that is less marked over a heavily (approaching 25%) nose.

Standards do sometimes require some interpreting, unfortunately, which is why different styles can exist in certain breeds and all dogs within those styles can technically be correct.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good Point!

luckly Hawk's turn out can be altered simply with hand stacking his front feet. He's not bad in the front

the back is his worst area. I have noticed at shows though that many aussies seem to be toed out in the rear.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Do Aussies have an illustrated standard? They can be a huge help. Irish Setters have a EXCELLENT one, and the collie isn't that bad either.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Corgi fronts are significantly more complicated - easty-westy is still a fault, they just should turn out slightly in Cardis - but NOT in Pems. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts