Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
It turns out that this salsa is the best possible condiment for grilled bratwurst.

I'm sure I can come up with some weird Wisconsin queso by mixing it with cheese curds.

Salsa is the best condiment for everything. If they made salsa ice cream I would eat it.

I don't know what a cheese curd is, but I do know if you were to combine salsa and cheese, it would be an unstoppable force. I wouldn't stand a chance.

·
Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't know what a cheese curd is
From Wikipedia:

Cheese curds are little known in locations without cheese factories, because they should ideally be eaten within hours of manufacture. Their flavor is mild, with about the same firmness as cheese, but with a springy or rubbery texture. Fresh curds squeak against the teeth when bitten into, a defining characteristic, due to air trapped inside their porous bodies. They are sometimes referred to as "squeaky cheese".[1][2] They are sometimes somewhat salty. The American variety is usually yellow or orange, like most American Cheddar cheese, but don't require the artificial coloring. Other varieties, as in Quebec or New York State, may be naturally un-colored.
And this:

In the Midwestern United States, deep-fried cheese curds are often found at carnivals and fairs, and often local non-chain fast food restaurants and bars, as well as a few chain restaurants of local origin, such as Culver's. Deep-fried cheese curds are covered with a batter, like that used for onion rings, or are breaded and placed in a deep fryer.
In some areas, deep-fried cheese curds are also known as cheeseballs.
We don't call them cheeseballs and, if you order cheese curds in a bar or decent restaurant, it is understood you meen deep fried cheese curds.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It turns out that this salsa is the best possible condiment for grilled bratwurst.

I'm sure I can come up with some weird Wisconsin queso by mixing it with cheese curds.

I don't usually trust people who say, "Trust me" but, in this case, I believe you.
Well, I used to own a hot and spicy food business, and at any given time I carried 250 - 400 products.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I find it ironic that I was born & raised in TX & i hate... I mean HATE spicy anything... I admit ir, im a wuss & can't stand it LOL.
I was born in Ohio and moved here many many years ago. I do NOT like spicy...at all. I love Mexican food for the ingredients but the only time I will eat salsa is if I've had a number of drinks...:becky: Oh, and I don't like grits or okra!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I do love spicy food but after not eating it on a daily lately I realized my tolerance has changed. Need to build it back! My SO can't do too spicy, his stomach won't handle it.

My dad raised me with peppers. He was the guy who on a scale of one to ten at a Thai place say he needs a 20 and to bring him a side of hot sauce and carried a bag of fresh peppers in his pocket.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The local grocery store sells cheese curds in a vacuum-packed bag. On the back of the bag, they say that if you let the cheese come to room temperature before opening it, the curds should be properly "squeeky" (sic). I haven't tried them yet, I'm afraid they'll be a letdown after I had the fresh cheese curds my friends brought from their Wisconsin weekend.

But yes, I agree that anything made with salsa and cheese curds would be terrific. How could it not be?

I like spicy food but not so spicy that I can't taste the actual food.

·
Super Moderator
11,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Anything Spicier then mayo...gives me problems when going #2
Thanks for sharing.

Peppers shouldn't cause distress - at least on their way out.

In fact, I am a strong believer in the health benefits of hot peppers. They have lots of vitamin C and they help clear out your sinuses. I actually feel better, more tranquil even, after eating some good salsa.

I started making salsa because I was having trouble finding good salsa in my area - not too surprising since I live in a town of 12,000 in Wisconsin. The original recipe (the one I posted and the one I've tweaked with every batch) was given to me years ago by a co-worker who's married to a guy from Mexico.

Ironically, the guy from Mexico cannot eat this salsa without serious gastric consequences.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Speaking of spicy- what's everyones favorite hotsauces?

I've been looking through the aisles of hot sauce at the Asian market here and I wish I knew which ones are the best. I kinda wait til someone comes and just grabs their favorite bottle to try it. Sometimes good results- sometimes just alright.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Mmmm.... there is nothing better than fresh salsa.

Its too bad that here in the Northeast, it is pretty much impossible to find authentic Mexican food. But I guess it makes trips back to Denver that much better. :)
should you ever come to the tilton/laconia area, there is a new place on route 3 in Winnisquam/Belmont called El Jimidor. Authentic and very good
Ron, you should make it and sell it, I bet lots of DF'ers would buy it!

·
Registered
9,710 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
should you ever come to the tilton/laconia area, there is a new place on route 3 in Winnisquam/Belmont called El Jimidor.
I am not up that way too often (I drive S. on 93 a lot but rarely N. of the Millyards). However, a recommendation for a good, authentic Mexican restaurant is all I need. Hooksett tolls, here I come. :p

21 - 33 of 33 Posts