Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make a lot of salsa, and I've been tweaking the recipe for about a year now.

So this summer, I put 15 pepper plants, 3 each of 5 varieties, in my garden.

A well-meaning neighbor that we share some garden space with, picked about a shopping bag full of peppers yesterday that needed picking and left them at our doorstep while we were out-of-town.

The problem is, they all look pretty similar and I have no idea which are which. (The plants themselves are labeled.)

So I made a big batch of salsa today and, in a huge leap of faith, included six assorted peppers. (I put the whole peppers, seeds and all, in a good food processor.) I let the batch ferment for an hour and then tried it.

At first, I actually thought it needed more peppers, but apparently some of them have a slow fuse. After about 30 seconds, my eyes started to water, my head started throbbing and my mouth felt like a cherry bomb went off in there.

In other words, it's perfect - my best batch ever.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
After about 30 seconds, my eyes started to water, my head started throbbing and my mouth felt like a cherry bomb went off in there.
What a way to go....in a blaze of glory!

Just a little off topic, about a hundred years ago, when my older brother was a teenager full of bravado, he challenged his two friends to a jalapeno eating contest. They bought a couple of industrial size cans of jalapenos and went at it. I have never seen such red faces. The next day....oh, man, were they sick!

Enjoy some of the slow burn for me!

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a couple pounds of chipotle/lime marinated chicken breasts slow cooking and I'm looking forward to some really good chicken burritos.

In my past life, I believe I lived in Austin.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
That sounds like perfect salsa! Too bad you won't be able to replicate the recipe. . .

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I have to figure out if I want to can or dry all these peppers.

I'm leaning toward drying them in the dehydrator.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ooooh I love salsa. I think the reason I love mexican food is just so I can have an excuse to eat lots of salsa. The spicier the better! Please post your recipe, I'm always looking for ways to improve mine!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a couple pounds of chipotle/lime marinated chicken breasts slow cooking and I'm looking forward to some really good chicken burritos.

In my past life, I believe I lived in Austin.

Chipotle - Lime Marinated Mushrooms

I hate raw mushrooms.... really hate them, but this marinade works like ceviche'... meaning it sort of cooks the mushrooms as they marinate. Eaten this way, I really enjoy them:

In a food processor ( or by hand ) really smash these ingredients up, so almost like a puree:

1/2 tsp oregano
1 TBS minced garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 chipotle in adobo with a little of the sauce... maybe 1/2 TBS
Juice from 1 or 2 limes, depending on how juicy they are
1 tsp salt
pinch of sugar
couple TBS of cilantro - or parsley if you prefer.

Take that and pour it over

1 pound of sliced raw button mushrooms
1/4 diced red onion
Lime slices - slice one lime really thin

Mix it... let it marinate at least 2 hours in the fridge. Serve at room temp. Should be eaten before 8 hours though, IMO. I just made these yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Papa Deuce. I'll have to try that.

Here's the basic salsa recipe I use. I hardly measure anything, so there's always a little excitement during the taste test.

Salsa Recipe

10-14 Roma tomatoes or 3-12 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 green pepper
1 onion
2-3 Jalapeno peppers (optional)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. garlic olive oil or regular olive oil
1 1/2 tsp garlic (only if using regular olive oil)
16 oz can black beans
16 oz can sweet corn
2-3 limes squeezed
about 2 tsp salt (use less if using canned tomatoes)

chop all ingredients (except corn and beans) and place in a large bowl. Drain corn and black beans and add to the bowl. Mix in all liquid ingredients (lime juice, vinegar, olive oil.) Salt to taste.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to try it! I never measure mine either. I might even try 6 peppers cuz the last couple times I made salsa I used 3 jalapenos and it wasn't spicy enough. Do you add seeds and all? I usually leave the seeds out, maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to try it! I never measure mine either. I might even try 6 peppers cuz the last couple times I made salsa I used 3 jalapenos and it wasn't spicy enough. Do you add seeds and all? I usually leave the seeds out, maybe that's where I'm going wrong.
The seeds and membranes are where the heat is... mostly the membranes.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the seeds and everything.

The jalapenos I could buy in the winter were almost as mild as bell peppers, so I got in the habit of using jars of sliced jalapenos (like you would put on nachos.)

I have a few dozen assorted peppers drying in the dehydrator as we speak. I figure 100 or so would get me through the winter.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I didn't do it this year because we moved into our new home in April, and we were busy..... but I usually grow lots of hot peppers. I used to own a gourmet hot sauce / salsa business. Anyway, last year I grew Bhut Jolokias... much hotter than habaneros. In fact, they are now recognized as the hottest pepper in the world by Guiness. Plus, we just got a new puppy and her name is Pepper.

Ron, quite possibly you have the jalapenos that they have developed WITH NO HEAT, for people who like the flavor and not the heat.

BTW, and I have no affiliation with this company other than I am a customer....... www.chileplants.com

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Mmmm.... there is nothing better than fresh salsa.

Its too bad that here in the Northeast, it is pretty much impossible to find authentic Mexican food. But I guess it makes trips back to Denver that much better. :)

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I love making salsa! I grow a 'salsa garden' every year. Except the squirrels are being a problem this year, since we got rid of our coyotes :/ so I'm not getting much out of it this summer. You know you can freeze the smaller peppers RonE? I put them in freezer bags and they store very well. I like roasting my peppers on the grill. I put them on a skewer and cook them until the skins are black, then peel the skins off. Adds a great flavor to salsa.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Teri, you're the second person who has suggested freezing peppers. The other was a Hmong friend who really knows his peppers.

I've had a bunch in the dehydrator for a couple of days now and freezing is starting to look like a reasonable alternative.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Freezing is fine, but when they defrost they don't always remain firm. They can be "soggy". That said, They are still 100% fine to use in things like chili. I just don't like them as much after freezing if used in salsa. And trust me, I know peppers. I have years where I grow up to 15 varieties, and maybe 50 plants.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It turns out that this salsa is the best possible condiment for grilled bratwurst.

I'm sure I can come up with some weird Wisconsin queso by mixing it with cheese curds.

And trust me, I know peppers.
I don't usually trust people who say, "Trust me" but, in this case, I believe you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts