Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience treating fire ant bites...at home?

I'm trying really REALLY hard not to be "that pet owner" calling the vet every week with a new emergency LOL.

This is what his legs and pelvis look like. He's not having an extreme allergic reaction - just dealing with pain/itchiness/trying to bite and lick his way out of it. I just put a cone collar on him.

I feel so bad for my little guy!

Not originally from the south, and it seems like every website has a different treatment to try. Figured I'd ask you first!

OH...AND I'm bombing the absolute HELL out of my yard tomorrow.

WORST. INSECTS. EVER.

EVERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fireants.jpg WesleyBean.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Have you tried diatomaceous earth? (Food grade, not the stuff for pools.) It's cheap, natural, and totally safe for mammals -- but deadly for insects. We have a problem with little black ants on my entire block, and I put diatomaceous earth down everywhere I see them. It's messy, but it works.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried diatomaceous earth? (Food grade, not the stuff for pools.) It's cheap, natural, and totally safe for mammals -- but deadly for insects. We have a problem with little black ants on my entire block, and I put diatomaceous earth down everywhere I see them. It's messy, but it works.
I haven't, but I will definitely look into it. The less toxicity the better, but it seems like every product gets the job done...unless you have mutant evil southern fire ants...
Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You can give your pup Benedryl to help with the itching. 1-2 mgs per pound.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Benadryl, and you can put Cortisone cream on the bites. Or Bactine.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
This is going to be a bad year for fireants, b/c of the mild winter. You can trying pouring boiling water on the mounds that you see, as well as diatomaceous earth and Orange oil. Or you can nuke them with fire ant poison. That's what I use in the backyard, and my dog leaves it alone, b/c of the smell.

As far as treating the dog, you can try aloe to relieve the itching, but if it's bad, go to the Vet to get a steroid spray. I tried for a month with no luck. My Vet is very kind, explained the situation, and gave me the spray. After I sprayed my dog the first time, I imagine it felt real good, b/c the next time, when he saw me with the spray, he rolled over and lifted his leg on his own :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I moved to TX last June and had my first battle with fire ants this summer. Luckily Jaxx hasn't been bitten by them but it is good to know what to do in case he is.

I don't think we had fire ants in WV but I definitely do not like them now that I live in TX

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't think fireants spread to WV, but you might dust the perimeter of your yard with Sevin or with Ortho Home Defense Max (if the neighbors have lots of fireants. In the Metroplex, we also have red ants (not as aggressive) and carpenter ants (large and black). I haven't seen crazy ants, yet. We haven't had a bad year for fireants, yet, but they seem to help control fleas, and it's been bad for fleas.
They say that a nice pet armadillo and some horned toads will help with fire ants :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't know how well it would work long term but you could try using an oatmeal and baking soda bath for the dogs itching, and it will heal the skin some.

Best of luck!

Stupid ants >.>

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Fire ants are the WORST! I got hit by fire ants the first week I lived in TX. That was . . . hmmm . . . 20 years ago (!) and I flinch when I think about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts