Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am writing here to get advice on how do you groom or handle customers dogs that are very very fidgety or they just cant seem to stand still enough for proper groomin? i really need advice on this one.

also how do you tame a 4 mth old puppy on his first grooming session? i had a real hard time grooming cause he kept moving and even bite me. please help!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hi all,

I am writing here to get advice on how do you groom or handle customers dogs that are very very fidgety or they just cant seem to stand still enough for proper groomin? i really need advice on this one.

also how do you tame a 4 mth old puppy on his first grooming session? i had a real hard time grooming cause he kept moving and even bite me. please help!
If you dont have a Groomers Helper, get one. Google them. They make the grooming loop safer, and stop all the spinning and turning, as well as helping prevent bites.

For the puppy, consistancy. And dont give in. If you are holding the foot, and puppy throws a hissy, you stop trying to trim, and just hold the foot until his fit is done. Go back to trimming, and repeat 20 times if necessary. If you let go and give the foot back, puppy wins and fights harder next time. Same goes for anything you are working on, on a puppy. You stop or let go on your terms, not theirs. Biting needs to be nipped in the bud right away. Usually on a young pup, a loud OOOW!! works great. You screaming startles them and makes them stop. Firm, short NO works also. If they are biting for brushing, I let them bite the brush. They learn very fast that biting is not comfortable after a few times of biting a slicker brush. Young puppies will be wiggly, but biting is unacceptable. As they get older and more experienced with grooming, if you are consistant they will be less wiggly. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts