Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have separation anxiety, not my dog, she's fine; it's me. Our girl is a 1 year old Maltese/Shih Tzu that we have had since she was 8 weeks. I love her like my child and while I know it's a tad ridiculous It just tears me up inside to leave her alone.
My hubby is always saying "she's a dog, she just sleeps all day, she has no concept of time, stop giving her human emotions" I can't help but feeling anxious and worrying about her all day long.
When we first got her I was able to take her to work with me which was amazing at the time but it's not really an option for me anymore. I am able to pop home on occasion but it's not always easy to do.
The silly thing is it's not even an issue everyday. Mon, Wed, and every other Fri I am able to come home during the day. Some days she can go to my Mom's house and some days my husband who works on call is home. On a bad day such as tomorrow she will be home from 8am-3pm and then again from 4:00pm to 5:15pm. My husband will be home from 3:00-4:00 and will be able to walk her and I'll be home at 5:15pm. Just the thought of this gives me a lump in my throat.
Our girl is pad trained (we live in a high rise and she's pretty small) so I don't have to worry about her holding it all day and she has never given us even an inkling that she is upset when she's alone. She's quiet and it appears as she doesn't do much of anything while we are gone.
I just wish I could feel better about the whole thing, I know dogs get left alone everyday and we could be much worse off but I can't shake the irrational anxiety. I literally feel sick to my stomach when I know she's home alone for more than a few hours.
I have looked into doggy daycare but in our area it's $30+ a day and that is out of our budget at the moment.
Anyone else deal with this? Any tips for elevating pet owner anxiety?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wish my dog was that good when I leave home. Can't crate her without her injuring herself, and I invariably come home to something ripped to pieces, possibly eaten, and sometimes a big ol' poo on the floor. But the thing is, I don't waste time worrying about her. Once you leave, and you HAVE to leave, your dog is on its own and there's nothing you can change about it. If your pup has never acted out or shown any sign of trouble regarding being left alone, then I'd guess it's exactly what you say: an irrational anxiety. And no amount of rational reassurance is going to fix that.

Frankly, I think this is an issue for a psychologist. I don't say that with any stigma or condemnation attached. If you really have an irrational anxiety like that, only someone with experience breaking them can help you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts