Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am generally a very non-confrontational person, especially with family. I prefer keeping my mouth shut in order to keep the peace, but lately I've been noticing that my mouth filter has started to malfunction and I've been a little more liberal about speaking my mind.

My mother-in-law is NOT a dog person...honestly, she's not much of a people either and doesn't think twice about letting us know what she thinks about our dogs. I've listened to her voice her opinion for almost 9 years and finally spoke up today.

We had stopped by her house on the way home from an appointment today and as we were leaving my hubby mentioned that we needed to get home to check on Lola because she'd had an upset tummy. She got into some mac and cheese the kids had thrown out for the neighborhood Basset Hound and had been up off an on all night chewing grass in the yard. MIL immediately starts with an attitude. "I don't know why y'all don't just put that damn dog out in the yard at night, blah, blah, blah....K (my daughter who's 13...Lola sleeps in a crate in her room) doesn't need to be getting up and down with a dog all night..." I cut her off before she could go any further and told her that the dog is inside because that's where we want her and that my daughter gets up with her because she wants to, not because she has to. She tried to start again with "when school starts back..." and I cut her off again. I let her know that I will be the one that takes her out then if she even needs to go out by then since she's already sleeping through most nights anyway, so it's not even really an issue.

I think she was a bit surprised that I bit back this time because I'm usually pretty quiet. But I get so tired of hearing how I should do things in MY home. If she doesn't like dogs and doesn't want one in her house that's fine, but anyone that know me knows that my dogs are my family, and you don't mess with my family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same sort of issues with my MIL. She's doesn't get bossy, but she does try to manipulate me into doing things that she thinks are best for my spouse. For example - we got our first dog in February. I've wanted one seriously since 2008 and we finally made the decision to do it. My spouse wasn't keen on getting a dog but he eventually agreed to support me. Anyway, as time went by, I talked more and more about getting a puppy ("Christmas puppy? Birthday puppy? You don't need to find one, just say yes!"), and she would always say "you don't want a dog, they're so much work," or "get a cat, they're much less work". I think she just didn't want her son to be saddled with the responsibility of having a dog. She once said to me "I will babysit a cat but I won't babysit a dog!" (Yeah... she babysits my spouses sister's bengal when she goes out of town. wtf) I'm pretty outspoken and quick to speak my mind, but I have always managed to bite my tongue to this kind of stuff. The babysitting comment really bothered me. How manipulative!

The funny thing is that since getting Ozy, she has totally fallen in love with him and keeps asking when we're going to go on a trip so she can take care of him. FAT CHANCE.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts