Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here seen this documentary on HBO ? I've never heard of it before . I watched the doc. about factory hog farms on HBO last night and saw a reference to this Dealing Dogs doc. I was just wondering if it was worth buying it on DVD ?

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/dealingdogs/index.html

Did anyone here catch the Hog one last night ? Was that ever gruesome they way they threw those baby piglets around . Don't know what makes people be that way . Farm animal or not , just plain cruel .

Thanks !!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dog lovers with weak stomachs beware. This video is extremely disturbing. Educational, yet sadistic view into the world of "dealing dogs." Didn't watch after a black cocker spaniel of some type was shot in the head.

PB

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I've seen it a couple of times. It's definitely worth the watch but as Pitbully mentioned it's quite disturbing and very hard to watch - The ending makes it worth it though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just watched the hog one last night. It made me real upset and feel like I wanna be a vegetarian. In the end the justice was not served and that made me angry.
I have not seen the dealing dogs but I’d like to see it.

-n

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I watched the Dog one last night ,it was really disturbing . Turns out most video stores rent the National Geographic stuff. Just watching it makes you mad that there can be people like that :(

Yes, those hog farm owners basically got off with a wrist slap , which didnt surprise me . The dog one had a more just ending .

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What does the "dealing" part refer to? Breeding, selling, showing, etc.?

Unfortunately, most animal cruelty goes completely unchallenged (by ANYONE), much less prosecuted, so if that's what the documentaries show, that's a pretty good depiction of the way things are.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
What does the "dealing" part refer to? Breeding, selling, showing, etc.?
Breeders who breed to sell to Laboratories and Vet Schools for medical study.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Breeders who breed to sell to Laboratories and Vet Schools for medical study.
Nope. This guy was buying dogs - from anyone. People stealing dog to sell to him, dogs/puppies from opps litters - whoever had a dog, he'd buy it. From what I can remember, there wasn't much breeding going on at his facility. That's what the "dealing" part was about.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya it was disturbing ,this guy was obviously buying stolen pets . One lady rescued this beautiful German shepherd , the guy who had it was offered 15 bucks for the dog . Just crazy stuff.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, there's always an ad in the local paper---"now buying dogs and puppies, call this number" etc. And a LOT of small animal control shelters make a large percentage of their income from selling to research facilities. And you always have to watch for "bunchers" that try to steal pets. Ugh. Some things just make you sick.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya he was paying 15 bucks for a dog and they were saying he sells them to labs and such for 250 each later. Thats quite a racket going on there.

Yeah, there's always an ad in the local paper---"now buying dogs and puppies, call this number" etc. And a LOT of small animal control shelters make a large percentage of their income from selling to research facilities. And you always have to watch for "bunchers" that try to steal pets. Ugh. Some things just make you sick.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Something to think about when you see the animals in the paper listed for "free to a good home" or " Good home needed, cheap price" Where do people THINK these dogs go? Video's like this are sick and hard to watch but I feel they really DO NEED TO BE SEEN, if anything is to change. People can't sit with their heads poked into the sand closing their eyes to the inhumanity that is happening every day. I am glad HBO did this series. I hope it will make a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts