Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I got my new 6 month old boston terrier/ english bulldog mix pup 3 days ago. I have just come to the painful realization that he is indeed completely deaf. I love him the same of course and want to do everything I can to make his quality of life just as good as if he had his hearing. I was very prepared for a new puppy but this is a situation I need to learn much more about. If anyone could offer advice or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it as ive gotten great advice thus far off of this discussion board. THANKS!

·
Banned
3,312 Posts
Hello everyone I got my new 6 month old boston terrier/ english bulldog mix pup 3 days ago. I have just come to the painful realization that he is indeed completely deaf. I love him the same of course and want to do everything I can to make his quality of life just as good as if he had his hearing. I was very prepared for a new puppy but this is a situation I need to learn much more about. If anyone could offer advice or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it as ive gotten great advice thus far off of this discussion board. THANKS!
Deafness is fairly common in boston terriers although I dont know about the bulldogs....

basically the only difference is to make things visual..... so instead of saying the word sit you will use a visual cue....

iwould suggest going to a training center that has trained deaf dogs before.... its really not a big deal once you get the hang of it....
s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input. Also i was wondering has anyone heard of temporary deafness due to inner ear infections? I am hoping it is something cureable like that but if not then i will start taking him to "special needs" obedience classes. I just dont want to jump to conclusions but i did a test recently where when he was asleep i would make a variety of sounds using my voice, clapping, my guitar and even a fire alarm and none of them woke him up...so im guessing its deafness....

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
What a wonderful choice you have made! It will be an adjustment, but this pup needs love like any other dog. I'm wondering, who did you get him from and did they not realize he was deaf? :confused:

You haven't mentioned his name? Didn't you post about his breathing while sleeping? You have a challenge ahead and I hope you will keep us posted on how he progresses (as I know he will). And pictures please! :p

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
My co worker owns a deaf white boxer. You would never know it she is trained so well. There is a web site google DDEAF. It has training tips there. They make a collar for deaf dogs that vibrates to get the dogs attention. There is also a book Living with a Deaf Dog by Susan Cope Becker. Good luck to a special dog with a really special owner!!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
We've had with a deaf dog and it was really no different than our fully-functional dogs who pretend to be deaf :rolleyes:

Whether a dog is deaf or blind or missing a leg...I think you can do a great disservice to them by treating them as "special needs." Sometimes we feel so bad for the dog that we coddle them and overprotect them, which can lead to behavioral problems down the road. They really are just differently abled and dogs are amazing at adapting. So you use hand signals instead of verbal commands....and you don't let the dog off leash in unfenced areas (b/c obviously you can't recall them by voice)...other than that I think you'll find there's really no difference between your dog and all the others :)

If your dog hasn't been seen by a vet about it's deafness, it's definitely time to do so.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I agree with you lovemygreys. The dog doesn't know the difference!!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Uhm, if a fire alarm goes off while I am sleeping I don't wake up. Did you try those tests with him awake as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you everyone for your responses! me n the pup have been doin great he has been certified as "special needs" by the vet and is fully deaf...but so smart! It has been about 3 days since i started training Paesan (pronounced Pie-Zan) using sign language and he can already consistently sit (for the most part sometimes he lies down but close enough!) and he recognizes when im angry by me pointing my finger. Its a challenge because i cannot get his attention but i am going to look into that collar that vibrates. Hes extremely perceptive and i find in lue of tone of voice i just put on dramatic expressions and he understands. He is a happy and healthy pup and i love him to death, i will keep you all updated on his progress.ANY MORE TIPS FROM "SPECIAL NEEDS" OWNERS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED! thank you everyone! - Sal and Paesan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My co worker owns a deaf white boxer. You would never know it she is trained so well. There is a web site google DDEAF. It has training tips there. They make a collar for deaf dogs that vibrates to get the dogs attention. There is also a book Living with a Deaf Dog by Susan Cope Becker. Good luck to a special dog with a really special owner!!
They make a collar for deaf dogs that vibrates

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you decide on a vibration collar, make sure it is "Vibrate only". Being that you are starting with a puppy, your training should go quite well even without one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.