Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I help to run a kennel, and we sold a puppy to someone, and that puppy died a little while later. They are trying to claim it was a genetic deficiency, though the puppy's parents and siblings have never had any similar issues.

I was hoping that there might be some professional veterinary people here who could give a medical opinion on the symptoms.

The people say that their vet diagnosed the puppy with "Liver Hepatocellular dissociation, renal tubular necrosis and acute pulmonary hemorrhage."

What could have caused these symptoms? Could the puppy have eaten something poisonous?

Oh yeah: they destroyed the body before even letting us know, which prevents us from further investigation. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,534 Posts
I'm not a vet, if there is an autopsy report I'd take it to your kennels vet to have it looked at or discuss the dianosis with him to understand what all the terms mean and if they could be from a birth defect of any kind. Remember that a birth defect isn't always from genetics. I honestly don't think anyone would give you the info you're looking for on a forum any how, we can't talk to the diagnosing vet and we didn't see the pup.

This is why health testing and verifying the results through OFA, CERF and other institutions is SOOO important for being a responsible breeder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly don't think anyone would give you the info you're looking for on a forum any how, we can't talk to the diagnosing vet and we didn't see the pup.
Thanks - I was just seeing about possibilities, more than a diagnosis. Like, if it's possible to have eaten something and gotten those symptoms. The people are demanding their money back, which we would do if there was a birth defect... but I don't want to reward someone who carelessly let the poor pup chow down on a poinsettia, or drink algae. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,534 Posts
As I said, it's impossible to say. You really need to discuss this with your vet in person. They can tell you all the possibiities of what causes such conditions and it will be official and stand up on court if these people take punitive action. A discussion on an Internet forum won't help you if they sue for damages.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
The people are demanding their money back, which we would do if there was a birth defect... but I don't want to reward someone who carelessly let the poor pup chow down on a poinsettia, or drink algae. :(
As CSH said, get a copy of the treating veterinarian's report and take it to your vet. If the cause is not able to be clearly determined as the fault of the buyer, the best policy is to refund the purchase price or offer a replacement pup. Yes, even if there was no guarantee.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top