Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chihuahua puppy (1.5 year old) began vomiting and having bloody diarrhea. Took her to the vet who diagnosed her with pancreatitis. She spent a few days at the ER receiving treatment. For about a week after being discharged she seemed fine, eating and playing. Then she began vomiting one day so I gave her Cerenia which stops it but then she starts having bloody diarrhea soon thereafter. This has been the pattern before and after treatment: sick for 24 hours then fine for a week or so. Repeat.

I don't know what to do other than hospitalizing her again but I am poor and don't have $1000s to treat her each time she has an attack. First treatment emptied my savings. My family wants me to euthanize her as it appears this is chronic and will suffer from this for the rest of her life. But I love her so much I don't want to let her go especially since she's still so young and has a long life ahead of her. Plus it was probably my fault she has pancreatitis cause she ate a lot of beef patties and duck jerky cause they're her favorites.

Is there anything I can do like buying only the medicine from the vet and trying to treat her at home? Should I return her to the city pound I adopted her from a year ago hoping they treat her and re-adopt her.... or will they just put her down due to her illness? Should I try to find a no kill sanctuary that will take sick dogs even though I heard there are long waiting lists?

HELP!!!! I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I am so sorry this is happening to you.

In the case of chronic illness that costs a lot to manage, I will opt to euthanize. It is not an easy decision and is especially difficult in a dog that is young.

I have a dog that has health insurance. I can afford to help him as a result. I have another older dog that does not have health insurance. She has a $500 limit that I have sest and if she develops something that is chronic and costly to manage she will be euthanized.

I suspect if you return your dog to the pound, she will be euthanized. I would try to talk to the vet and see what your options are as far as affordably managing her issue at home including medication and diet. If that is not possible then, while the decision is yours, I would euthanize her knowing I gave that dog the best life a dog could have while I had her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.