Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I just have a question on this because I am pretty curious about this.

I was on this breeders website for Labradoodles and on the adoption part of it, it says that:
Puppies will be de-sexed by the time they are 8 weeks old unless you are purchasing a puppy for breeding purposes
Please be open to either a male or a female Labradoodle. Our puppies are de-sexed before they are 8 weeks of age therefore there really is little difference in temperament between the males and the females. There will not have been enough time for the puppies to develop gender specific traits. Being open to either gender will most likely shorten your wait for one of our precious Labradoodle puppies
I have never heard of puppies being desexed so early. Have you guys. I was just spun into a loop that they did it so early.

Anyone have experiance with this or know of it?

Hayley

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Wow, that is crazy-early.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I think there are people out there that get their pets done that early but it's becoming a lot more common place to wait until the dog has grown up a bit.

That whole male/female temperament thing made me laugh, though.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Most vets won't speuter anywhere near that early with the exception of rescue dogs. There a quite a number of damaging side affects to early speutering; which I'm sure someone will gladly post links to the studies and articles that have been posted before.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have read in several places this is bad for the dogs development...

If you castrate a human their voice will never change.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Shelters have to do it that young, but I'd be very wary of a dog breeder that did that. It's common with cats (and early spay/neuter has no known drawbacks in cats), but most vets and "dog people" believe that it's not healthy to alter a dog that young. Particularly a larger dog.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Actually the shelters in this area anyway and in a few others that I know of are doing puppies and kittens at 8 weeks before they go to their new homes. They do not want to give the people a chance to have an oops litter before getting them done themselves. My Oliver was done at 4 months and I thought that was far too early but it was the rescues policy "NO EXCEPTIONS" in order to save his life, I had to let it happen. He is very tall and a narrow build with long legs. Mind you part of that is to do with his crap breeding but I think part if from being neutered too early.

I hate the term de-sexed.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
So do I.. altered, neutered, spayed, castrated, fixed..anything.. de-sexed doesn't really make sense, anyway. The animal's sex will still be male or female.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's the usual term in the UK and probably other places. I don't know where the OP is from but I'd bet somewhere not the U.S.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a hard time getting my dog fixed at 6 months old. I guess it is a guy thing for me. However, my vet was saying I could have done it at 4 months old because my dog is a german shepherd and as big as he was. But wow, 8 weeks old. :(

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
That is ridiculously early though I've seen some shelters which do it that young. If its not one extreme its another isn't it. From breeding at only months old to s/n at only weeks old. There are some vets out there who will do it that young, but there are others who will not, they have a required minimum age. Maybe the breeder is trying to be extra careful by not having someone accidentally have a pup from them that goes on to breed or from someone intentionally breeding a pet only dog.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If a breeder would deliberately breed mixed breed dogs whose only purpose is for that of a companion, and is not being held to any particular standard, it does not surprise me that they have sketchy breeding practices.

If you want a puppy from a good breeder, this is certainly not the way to go.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Umm...Ya, that's too early. I'm no vet, but there's gotta be a reason most vets don't do it before 4-5 months.

That breeder's no good...In the first place, they purposefully breed doodles, (mutts) they are willing to sell those mutts as breeders, and they don't seem to knowledgable about dogs. (Hello...There's still a difference between the genders if they're altered. It's not as if they become neither male nor female.)

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Sounds like a breeder to stay far far away from.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were also planning to charge more to get the dog intact. Thought why you'd want to breed a mutt (and thus possibly open yourself to even MORE variation in the next generation, depending on how the genes work out), is beyond me.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I think the jury is still out on early s/n, but most vets do tend to agree that the dog should be allowed to fully develop first. It's routinely done in shelter dogs though so it's not something that's immediately life risking.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Although I do not agree with those practices, I know of canine and feline breeders that are very reputable that do it at 8 to 12 weeks. Some of them had bad experienced with a dog being altered as the contract demanded ...

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Although I do not agree with those practices, I know of canine and feline breeders that are very reputable that do it at 8 to 12 weeks. Some of them had bad experienced with a dog being altered as the contract demanded ...
Last I heard, it seemed that pediatric altering of felines didn't have as negative an impact as in canine.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I know of at least one breeder that I would consider reputable that does early s/n on pet puppies before they leave her. (And unfortunately, while I love her bloodlines, it's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy from her. If you trust me with a puppy, period, trust me to follow the contract I signed and alter the puppy when it is best fro the puppy.)

THAT SAID, ick.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Well said, Dogstar. Though I understand why shelters might do the early spay/neuter, breeders *should* make sure the people getting their puppies are responsible enough to spay or neuter, thereby following through with the contract.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts