Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

daycare and aggression

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Sookie's mom 
#1 ·
Does daycare help correct aggression?

#5 ·
I probably should have gone into more detail.....
She is always very people friendly and okay with some dogs. She's a 2 and a half year old spayed lab/pit. (I'm familiar with the pit side. I had a boxer/pit several years ago.) I also have two other dogs. I took her to our local Woofstock (sort of a dog fair with vendor booths, a concert and such). She was absolutely wonderful. Walking around the area, like it would be if we were on a walk, she was fine. But when it's just the two of us, she's different. Pulling, growling, barking, and she's very, very strong.....so much so that if I miss that first second of trouble, she's nuts. I use a prong collar that will have almost no affect until she starts calming after I pretty much sling her around. (as a last resort) When I see a dog approaching, we cross the street, or make a u-turn, over and over again....depending on the setting. I try to be very calm and do my best not to send off any vibes that would trigger her. She gets so focused that she is very difficult to redirect. When it's possible I give her lots of treats and I might say "look a doggie". In our SUV, she'll be in the wayback and if she sees a dog I say that again and toss handfuls of treats back there over my shoulder while driving. (I must look awfully silly) There's always a bag of treats on the passenger seat.
So......knowing her background, do you think that being around others for hours at a time will help to desensitize her? She's been to one well established and large daycare site a few times, for daycare and once being boarded for 2 nights. One of the workers told me that when she would first arrive she would "posturize" with some dogs. He said usually with the cranky ones that always do that. They would do some growling, wrestling, some drama, but no blood. The difference is, with me her reaction seems so much more extreme than two dogs approaching each other with hackles up, etc, sizing up each other then moving on. I don't know how far she would go. I'm sure I've left out some important details but I guess my initial question should have included this info.
Thanks for your time. :)

#6 ·
Most day camps won't accept pit mixes anyway. If you've already done the day care and they said she was okay, then go back to that one if you feel comfortable with it.

#7 ·
There are some members, who really seem to know and love Pitts. I know I've seen solid advice on training pitties to get along well with others, but I don't remember the topics. I'm thinking that if your rephrase your topic heading to include desensitizing DA pitt or something, you can attract their attention. I'm pretty new here, so I can't remember all the names of those members. Zimandtakandgrrandmimi is one member that seems to know how to train in this area. Perhaps you could PM her for advice.

#8 ·
sometimes dogs act differently WITH the owner present, and in the owner's absense. However, with your description of the 'fixation' and going nuts at dogs..it doesn't sound too promising. Is your dog acting aggressive, or just pulling trying to meet and PLAY with the dog?

Without actually seeing the interaction, its hard to say. But to answer your question, you cannot take an aggressive dog to daycare in order to 'fix' the problem. Typical daycare isn't right for the aggressive dog. You may look for a training group that offers socialization training ... which would be highly supervised socialization with stable dogs so that they can fully evaluate the situation.

#9 ·
sometimes dogs act differently WITH the owner present, and in the owner's absense. However, with your description of the 'fixation' and going nuts at dogs..it doesn't sound too promising. Is your dog acting aggressive, or just pulling trying to meet and PLAY with the dog?
There have been a few times when we were in a situation (like waiting at a crosswalk) where someone would walk up beside us with their dog. She would pull and look pretty scary but after the initial sniffing she would want to play. I have quickly sped off when there are any negative signs. This also happened at the vet's a few weeks ago. (she's not at all leary of the vet's office.....there's treats and belly rubs.) We were suddenly in the midst of half a dozen dogs. She looked very seriously at the others, then she became the happy non-stop tail wagger again.

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with me on the other end of the leash. I think I'm a mellow handler that doesn't react to our surroundings...unless they're good ones. Is she being protective? But it doesn't seem that simple because of her other scary times.

When I adopted her at 5mons she already knew basic obedience and was housebroken. Boy, did I luck out. Anyway, I hired an at-home trainer to find out more about her. He told me that a lot of trainers won't work with pits. He also told me that her temperament is 99% lab. So maybe the rest just doesn't like other dogs. (and that she was very smart!)
Dang it! I wish she could talk! :eek:

That's why I thought maybe the daycare pack atmosphere would bring out the playfulness in her and help her to like other strange dogs. Is is too big of a risk because she is so strong and determined in the outside world? This seems to be an un-answerable question I guess and must be based on the individual dog and daycare. I wonder how many dogs in daycare are the same as mine but the issue has never been considered?
I think I think too much. :eek:

#10 ·
It *sounds* like her issue is being on leash, in which case going to dog daycare probably would not help much. Being on a leash and off a leash are very, very different to dogs. Your best way to get a good opinion would be to have a behaviorist evaluate her for you and help with how to procede from there.

At the daycare I work at we actually have several dogs who on leash appear very aggressive, off leash in the daycare they are very friendly and playful with the other dogs.

#11 ·
This sounds more like a leash reactiveness issue, more than actual aggression.

My hubby's dog is like that; an absolute PITA sometimes on the leash, and more so with him than me; I think she differentiates between the fact that I am consistant and naughtiness is just not acceptable, and she doesn't have to try to 'be in charge' of situations while I am handling her. Hubby on the other hand is not always so consistant, and so somedays, she will be okay, and others, she can't even handle seeing a dog who is a LONG ways away.

My advice would be to seek out a behaviorist, not only for the dog, but for yourself; there is obviously something in your actual demeanor in which she finds that she needs to take control over certain situations. Find out what that is, and I bet your dog will make a complete turn around. Good luck with her! That she is fine with dogs in daycare and boarding is a very positive thing.

#12 ·
YAY! I took my dog to daycare yesterday for a few hours. She had never been there and the owner knew her story. When I came to pick her up, the owner said she was wonderful and immediately found some yellow labs to pal around with. When she came out, she was accompanied by a little cocker-ish and the biggest dog I have ever seen. Maybe part St. Bernard, Pyrenees, and horse. They all seemed to be buddies and my dog had no problems at all. I just dropped her off again today and she ran in wagging her tail. :)
I'm really thinking that the trouble is all on the leash. I'm going to call our trainer and see what we can do. (when there's room in the budget)
Thanks for all of your ideas and info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.