Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me sum this up. We have a rescue dog, pit, who is about 3, who we have had for nearly two years now and after a number of skin and allergy issues we finally decided to go raw after two vets have told us not to hoping it's the magic fix so many claim it to be. So we stocked up on chicken qtrs, turkey necks, kidneys, sardines in water, portioned out meals for the week, and then, no interest, he'll lick around in the bowl, eat the fish out, but pretty much just look at us like "what the?"

So first meal we did half kibble with the raw and he ate every piece of kibble out from around the meat. After that it's been meat only and added some low sodium chicken broth which he licks up but still doesn't eat the meat. I know many things I have read say to just be persistent and they will eat eventually I am just a bit worried as I can hear his stomach growling regularly without interest in breakfast this morning again on day 3. I feel like he'd have more interest in chunks of rubber in his bowl than raw chicken and turkey.

Any input? Thanks

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I imagine he eats the fish because it stinks, haha. Is the meat frozen? Can you thaw it a bit? Thawed meat smells a bit more. It seems that dogs not accustomed to getting raw, meaty bones don't know what to do with it because raw, fresh meat really doesn't have much of a smell. Smell some chicken, then go smell your dog's kibble. Which has a stronger scent?

You could also pretend to cook it. Dogs seem to love anything they think the humans are getting!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Agree, cook it. Fully cook boneless meats at first if you need to and sear the chicken quarters on the skin side. I think it was more being in a new home but Bucky didn't eat at first either. I tried him on chicken ribs and cut off the meat to cook for treats and he refused the raw ribs. After a couple meals didn't get eaten I seared the meat side until it smelled good to me then he ate it readily. Be sure to feed any cooking liquid as well.

Ginger was hilarious when I started her on kidney. It took about a week for her to actually eat it. She wouldn't touch it first day and the day before she actually ate it she rolled on it. I started her with a toothpick sized bit as organ is rich in mineral content and commonly causes scary looking dark loose stool.

Going from kibble to raw is a huge change for the gut. Usually you transition slowly starting with a super bony lean meat like chicken with no skin or turkey necks and that's it. Once stool is good eating a full ration of food then you add in the other meats and organs needed for a good diet. Unless you are able to offer about half bony chicken or other bony meats and half red meat like beef or lamb with a bit of liver, kidney, brain, pancreas, thyroid it isn't going to be a balanced diet. Fish is great for omega 3 fatty acids but beef and lamb are where it is at for trace minerals like zinc, copper and iron.

Hope the fresh food helps. Once you get it down him that is!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts