Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1 year 2 month long haired daschund. The past few days he will sometimes only eat after having his food out for a few hours or when we add wet food to his usual dry food. He has been eating just fine and on schedule then he won't touch his food and acts weird if he does eat it. Usually he scarfs down his dry food no problem twice a day. So this morning he ate his food after we added the wet food (usually we only add the wet food as a special treat once a month for a week) and we left him in his crate for a few hours, he did fine when we let him out etc. But this evening he would not eat his dry food and only the wet food when we added it and then he goes and hides under the bed, paces, and is now sleeping. He is has been doing this irregular pattern of activities for the past few days and only for some meals. No vomitting or diarehea. He still drinks water and voids as usual. We feed him a high protien diet (nature's variety instinct dry and their wet canned food) and have been for the past year. The only different thing is that we had my brother's puppy over for a day and the next day this started happening. Also we got a new a treat for him which he enjoyed but have since stopped giving to him. Our dog has been on a couple walks and plays when he wants too except for when he is not feeling well after eating sometimes these past few days. It's like someone turns on a "not feeling well switch" for a few hours after eating some meals.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Any chance he cracked a tooth so it hurts to chew dry food?

Could he have been playing with the other dog and bitten his tongue/scraped his gums on the other dog's teeth?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a real possiblity. Never thought of that. They do engaged in "mouth to mouth" combat at times. We do hear some teeth clanking every once in while. Thank you. I will take a look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts