Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble house training my 9 month old Daschund. I have tried crate training. He will go in his crate. He doesn't like it but it does not stop him from going. He understands to urinate outside, will have the occasional accident inside, but will wait until we are inside to poop. Have tried every training method suggested and am at a complete loss.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Every training method? The only one that works is catching him in the act. If you miss that split second...when he's just starting to go and not letting him finish.....nothing will work after the deed is done.

When you say he will go in his crate...do you mean eliminate in his crate? He should not be in the crate if he has to go potty. It sounds like the potty schedule is out of whack.
I assume you have cleaned the crate with an enzyme cleaner to remove all traces of accidents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried crate training and catching him in the act. When he was 3 months it seemed be going well, however has gotten out of control. He does not usually urinate in his crate. He will poop and freaks out trying to get away from it, however it does not stop him from doing it again. Yes, I have cleaned crate, bedding, carpet, with cleaner to remove all traces of smell. It seems he prefers to poop in the house. I have taken notice to when he usually uses the bathroom and take him out at these times, however no matter the amount of time I spend outside with him, he will still go when we come inside.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If he was doing well 3 months ago, it should be fairly easy to get him back on track with a refresher course in housetraining 101.

It can also be that at 9 months old, his metabolism is changing ie; a new potty schedule because of that. That metabolism change can also signal that it's almost time to change over to adult food......he probably can't digest/handle all of the high calorie puppy food anymore.

I also gather that he's not letting you know that he has to go out because he doesn't know that it's wrong to go in the house. You're back to catching him in the act and instantly letting him know that going in the house is bad...very bad. Once he understands that fact, he will start to tell you. I am not suggesting punishment...just stopping him from going...telling him NO!, a sharp handclap, stomping your foot on the floor (anything to interrupt him) and immediately herd him outside to finish.

There is another option and some people use that method successfully...taking the dog out every 2 hours, every day, rain or shine, day and night.

·
Registered
192 Posts
it took over a year for my Dachshund to be full house trained. There was a lot of crate cleaning and baths. But if you keeping your pup on a schedule is the key.
-Out to potty every 2 hours or more
-also try feeding earlier
-walk before crate time to encouraging pooping out side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts