Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... first time poster. I have two mid-aged dogs. One a German Shepherd and the other a Mastiff/Lab mix. They're both around 6 years old and I'm at that point where I want to start to supplement their diets for hip and joint health. I feed them Diamond Naturals (great food... drop shipped from online retailer) and give them a one-a-day multi vitamin as it is. I was looking into Dasaquin (spelling?) and realized you can get the same thing at Walmart or Target for more than half-off the Dasaquin price. I looked at the ingredients for both and they're practically identical.

My question is, is it safe to give them the over-the-counter-made-for-humans supplement? And if not, why not? Like I said, the ingredients look identical. The only difference is the price tags.

Here's a link to the stuff I'm hoping is safe to give to my dogs:

http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Glucosamine-Chondroitin-Capsules/dp/B0013OUKHU

Thanks in advance to any replies!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The vets I used to work for used the Nutramax brand supplements because they were independent lab tested to be the same strength of the same formulation of the same supplement every time. The FDA doesn't regulate vitamins/supplements, so you aren't 100% sure you're getting the same thing every time. What we would do was to tell people to use the Nutramax supplement through the initial high dose period and then weaned down to the maintenance dose and see if it makes a difference. If it helps, THEN try a cheaper glucosamine. If it stops working -- the formulation might not be great. If it keeps working, great, you saved a bunch of money. Doing it this way v. the other way around is that if it isn't working on the other supplement, you don't know if it's because it doesn't help your dog or the supplement was poor quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Hambonez!

Very interesting points you made... and I would fully try that route. But, my dogs don't have any problems yet getting around or climbing stairs. So I wouldn't see a difference either way at this point. I just want to start to supplement their diets with a Dasaquin type product to help prolong any hip/joint problems and was wondering if something over-the-counter (made for human consumption) with the same exact ingredients as Dasaquin would be okay to give them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts