Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone here has fed or feeds the Darford Zero/G dog food. I'm thinking of trying it for my chi with allergies. I recently switched him to Nutrisource gf lamb but he seems to be scratching a lot more and biting his feet after a couple weeks of feeding. I could go back to the NV LID Turkey which he did ok on but I keep seeing all these posting about the ash content in their foods. I thought maybe I'd try something totally different and I saw this:
Sardines, Whitefish, Menhaden Fish Meal (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols), Whitefish Meal (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols), Peas, Buckwheat, Chickpeas, Lentils, Flax Seed, Salmon Oil (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Starch, Brewers Yeast, Tomato Pomace, Salmon Meal (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Salmon, Mysis Shrimp, Sunflower Oil, Alfalfa, Natural Flavours, DL-Methionine, Vitamins (DL-Alpha Tocopherol (source of vitamin E), Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Thiamine Mononitrate (vitamin B1), Folic acid), Salt, Choline Chloride, Chelated Minerals (Iron Proteinate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulphate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate), Kelp, Chicory Root, Probiotics: Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Rosehips, Blueberries, Bilberries, Rosemary Extract[/SIZE]
Crude Protein, min 30 %
Crude Fat, min 15%
Crude Fiber, min 5%

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have no personal experience with it, but based on the ingredients list it appears to be of decent quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I havent found many reviews on it. I need something that is potato free for him. I've tried fish based food but salmon based so I figured I would try a different fish source. Hmmmmmm cant decide. Seems like all the grain free, potato free options are chicken or lamb based :(

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't think it has much meat in it. I would top with meat or go for one with more meat. I don't love the buckwheat or lentils either.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
There are at least seven named sources of protein (not including plant based protein sources), sounds like it's meat (fish based) based to me. If you can afford it, I say try it out and see how your dog does on it.

I have never heard of this food, so I can't give any other info about it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I've fed it before. Hallie absolutely loved it, and I like that it has no GMOs. It is a little bit more expensive, but they donate food to shelters for every bag you buy. It's also not available in most stores (my store stopped carrying it). So if you can get it, go for it.

Also, Hallie's coat was amazing while she was on it.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I don't think it has much meat in it. I would top with meat or go for one with more meat. I don't love the buckwheat or lentils either.
There are two named meat meals (fish counts as meals) and that sounds like plenty to me. Better than most kibbles and in line with most premium ones.

Can you explain why you take issue with buckwheat and lentils? Neither are grains and they are lower on the glycemic index than potatoes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll pick up a small bag today and see how he does :) At night he gets THK topped with fresh meat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
There are two named meat meals (fish counts as meals) and that sounds like plenty to me. Better than most kibbles and in line with most premium ones.

Can you explain why you take issue with buckwheat and lentils? Neither are grains and they are lower on the glycemic index than potatoes.
Sardines and Whitfish will fall down the ingredient line after cooking. The two meals are really probably the biggest ingredients. Sardines are great for oily fish so I wouldn't like to see that go down.

I don't like feeding any kind of wheat as its a popular allergen. Lentils are a high GMO product. And I don't like Brewers Yeast because it can add to yeast problems and it's a cheaper, less nutritious version than whole yeast.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Yeah I havent found many reviews on it. I need something that is potato free for him. I've tried fish based food but salmon based so I figured I would try a different fish source. Hmmmmmm cant decide. Seems like all the grain free, potato free options are chicken or lamb based :(
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/darford-zero-g/

There's one for you. I've heard good things about this food and it's one of the few grainfree, potato free dry dog foods

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I've fed it before. Hallie absolutely loved it, and I like that it has no GMOs. It is a little bit more expensive, but they donate food to shelters for every bag you buy. It's also not available in most stores (my store stopped carrying it). So if you can get it, go for it.
That's awesome about donating to shelters!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just ordered a bag on mrchewy.com so I'll let you know how it goes :)
Please do, because even though the food my Riley is on now is working OK for him, I still think I could find something better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! Charley Darford here from Darford International. We have received several testimonials from pet owners whose dogs have allergies and have done very well eating Zero/G. Our food received a 5-star rating from DogFood Advisor and was also listed as a 2012 editor's choice from the Whole Dog Journal. Please visit our website: www.Darford.com for more information on our food, or I can be reached at [email protected] if you have more questions. Thank you for trying Darford!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Hello! Charley Darford here from Darford International. We have received several testimonials from pet owners whose dogs have allergies and have done very well eating Zero/G. Our food received a 5-star rating from DogFood Advisor and was also listed as a 2012 editor's choice from the Whole Dog Journal. Please visit our website: www.Darford.com for more information on our food, or I can be reached at [email protected] if you have more questions. Thank you for trying Darford!
Nice that you chimed in, Charley. I don't currently feed kibble, I'm sure I will again someday, won't be able to feed the Zero to my guy because of the brewers yeast but I've heard of many dogs who have done well with your food.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts