Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Dapple Dachsund

968 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
I have recently got a dapple dachshund puppy, I checked in with the breeder that he wasn’t a double dapple, as I’m aware of the health issues. I’ve got his paperwork confirming he is a dapple KC Reg, however I’ve noticed a small white patch of hair on his chest - Should I be worried at all? Could this mean he’s a Double Dap? I’m a first time dog owner so possibly over reacting and worrying for no reason!
Thanks in advance of any guidance given.

#2 ·
Dapples may or may not have a bit of white on them. What color were his parents? As long as one of his parents wasn't a dapple, he can't be a double dapple.

In the US, you can have a dog who has both dapple coloring and piebald markings.

#3 ·
Nope, totally normal. A double dapple would have a lot more white on him, and that lack of pigment is what actually causes most of the health issues associated with the dapple (called merle in other breeds) gene. Because of how pigment develops in embryos, it's very possible for a genetically solid colored dog to have a small white spot(s) on their chest, front paws, or chin just because the pigment didn't fully migrate during development. Not at all dangerous, just a problem for show dogs in breeds where that spotting isn't allowed. In double dapples, a large part of their body and head has no pigment at all which often means their eyes and ears can't always develop properly because pigment cells are involved in that process (weird, but cool!). This is what causes the deafness and some of the blindness double dapple/merle dogs are infamous for. You're totally in the clear from dapple-related issues if he just has one small white patch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.