Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy that we kept from Heidis litter has been on TOTW since he was about 8 weeks, well about a week ago we took in two more of our original puppies so their owners can find a home as atm they are in a motel and cant have animals.

So I decided since I wasnt made out of money I would just buy them Purina Puppy chow while they were here. Dakota got his regular amount of TOTW and the 2 puppies got 4 cups of Purina Puppy chow 3 times a day.

Well I guess Dakota got into the Puppy chow bag one morning the other day and since then he REFUSES to eat his TOTW and wants the puppy chow....Its been two days and he maybe eats 1 cup a day of his TOTW and thats it.

If I put down the Purina he will eat it all....Here I am buying this high quality food for him and he eats it and then he ends up getting a taste of the Purina and now wont touch his TOTW.

I have 30 lbs of Wellness on standby for when the puppies eat all the puppy chow then Dakota wont have an option but to eat his TOTW, but its making me mad that hes refusing to really eat his recommended amount of TOTW because he wants PPC.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
easy fix......... don't give him the PPC if you don't want him to have it:D
Ditto.

Dogs won't starve themselves. When he gets hungry enough, he will eat the food you give him. When you switch it up though, and offer the PPC you only reinforce the 'wait for something better' behavior that he is exhibiting.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nooooooooooo, lol I am not feeding him it at all, he just got ahold of it the other day when he got into the bag, other than that I have not fed him it. Its jsut making me mad that he wont eat much of his normal food now since he got into the bag of PPC.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I think Purina puts something on their food to make it taste better. My cats will kill for Purina Cat Chow (I keep it around to feed the strays). You'd think it was made with catnip or something. I give them a few kibbles as a treat, but they can't have it full time because of the litterbox stink :eek: .

Maybe you could use it for training treats!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts