Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is supposed to be spending a weekend at my folks house in a few weeks. They've warned me though, that they've spotted a fox with what looks like mange passing through their backyard on many occasions.

What precautions can I take so this doesn't become a problem for my dog?

My pup will stay supervised so there's no chance of the fox and dog interacting- but can the medical problems of the fox spread via the grass and plants to my pup? Jack has long fur and a bushy tail and loves nothing more than to poke his head into shrubs and bushes so I worry the mites will easily pass to him if the fox has been there recently.

Also Jack eats grass as many dogs do- one more fact making me nervous with this troubled fox running around.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
From the ASPCA's website:

Current thinking is that Demodex mites can be transferred from one dog to another—but as long as the dog is healthy, the mites simply add to the dog's natural mite population and no skin disease results. Isolation of dogs with even the most severe cases is still felt to be unnecessary—though in rare circumstances, contagion is possible. While there are still different theories about dog-to-dog transmission of Demodex mites, it is very rare for mites to be transmitted to humans or to cats.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
I wouldn't worry about demodectic mange BUT:
Is your dog fully vaccinated? Since you say "puppy" how old is he?

Canine distemper can be carried by foxes and a rough coat and thin appearance along with a lack of normal fear of humans can be symptoms in wild canines. The excretions of an infected animal can be a source of disease transmission.

There is also a potential for the more common intestinal parasites from a wild animal's droppings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts