Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is having dandruff after every bath. I started with regular top paw gentle puppy shampoo and have even tried the medicated shampoo for dry skin but it did not seem to help any. So i made another trip to petsmart this weekend and bought him some GNC pet moisturizing oatmeal conditioner. I will say his skin flaked a considerable amount less but he still did have some dandruff. Is this just a puppy sensitivity he will grow out of? or should I consider switching food next?
TIA!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
How often are you bathing your dog? Dog's don't need to be bathed that often, as it strips their natural oils from their coats and can causes some of the issues your are seeing. Instead, simply brush their coat every couple of days to remove debris and redistribute oils.

If you're only seeing the dandruff after a bath, it's probably the shampoo or that you're bathing him too often.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Like Lillith says, they don't need to be bathed very often. If you do need to bathe your pup, use cool water, and rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear. Once you think you've gotten them completely rinsed, rinse hem again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How often are you bathing your dog? Dog's don't need to be bathed that often, as it strips their natural oils from their coats and can causes some of the issues your are seeing. Instead, simply brush their coat every couple of days to remove debris and redistribute oils.

If you're only seeing the dandruff after a bath, it's probably the shampoo or that you're bathing him too often.
Ooooh ok this makes sense. I was bathing him quite frequently because he was having accidents in his kennel. However, I have noticed he is gaining better control over his bladder resulting in fewer baths and his skin is doing a little bit better.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Ooooh ok this makes sense. I was bathing him quite frequently because he was having accidents in his kennel. However, I have noticed he is gaining better control over his bladder resulting in fewer baths and his skin is doing a little bit better.
Unless he's just super nasty, don't bother with a full bath, just rinse him off with cool water. And taking him out more often, so he doesn't have the chance to have accidents would help, as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts