Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at school someone came to the door and Dandi managed to slip out of her collar (she's either crated or leashed and collared when someone's at the door) and I'm a bit disappointed, but also quite proud of her.

For starts, she jumped on the guy and terrified him. She's doing so much better with her jumping. She no longer jumps on me or mum, and rarely jumps on strangers when leashed. Should we start working with her more off leash for jumping? If so, how would we go about doing it?

The part I'm quite proud of her for is that she listened to mum. The gate was open and after saying hi to the guy at the door, she went straight for the gate. Mum doesn't remember what she said, it was kind of a panic moment, but Dandi stopped dead in her tracks! The outside world is the best thing ever to her, and she actually stopped! She sat patiently while mum put her collar on and apologized to the person and he knelt down and let her give him kisses and when they were talking she sat without a peep beside my mum. She's come so far from the crazy thing she used to be.

I know it seems like such a small thing to brag about, but I'm so proud of my little girl :D

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Yay! As much as it was a frightening thing, I'm glad Dandi responded so well to your mum's call!
If she slipped her collar it is likely on too loosely. You should only be able to get two fingers beneath the collar and between the collar and her SKIN. If she's a fluffy puppy you need to be conscious of where her skin is, not her fur.
I found using a martingale helpful, as Cracker's head and neck are about the same size and she could easily slip out even in a well fitted collar. She now wears a harness for walking so we don't use the martingale anymore but it was really a lifesaver.
In case you don't know what a martingale is, it is a collar that is half regular collar and half chain or slip. So it fits "loose" until she pulls and then it tightens up so as not to pop over her head. It is not meant as a choke, and fitted properly causes no discomfort.
"Greyhound" collars are a similar idea.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was wearing a prong collar at the time but one of the links is loose and it just fell right off. She's got a cute martingale collar as well (its pink with little puppy pirates, it's amazing) but mum has issues controlling her without the prong 'cause she's got bad wrists.
We're gonna find the loose link and fix it today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts