Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea where to post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Marley has recently become obsessed with digging up, and subsequently eating, dandelion roots. She has never done this before. She normally eats the tops of dandelions in our yard in the summer (our yard isn't treated with anything, so I don't mind), but this behaviour is new...and she is pretty relentless about wanting to be outside to dig/eat.

Does anyone elses dog do this? Can anyone think of why she is doing this? I know that dandelion is touted for having many nutritional benefits...could it be that she needs something added to her diet that dandelion provides?

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
I have no clue, but willing to speculate:
1. Dandelion leaves have a slight bitter flavor, not sure if the roots are the same.
2. The roots can be roasted for a type of coffee, but I can't believe there are any significant stimulants.

So my guess is that the smell and taste are interesting.... maybe sharper or stronger than anything else.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no clue, but willing to speculate:
1. Dandelion leaves have a slight bitter flavor, not sure if the roots are the same.
2. The roots can be roasted for a type of coffee, but I can't believe there are any significant stimulants.

So my guess is that the smell and taste are interesting.... maybe sharper or stronger than anything else.
Thanks for the speculation. I agree that they must smell stronger because it's to early for dandelions to be popping up. She is just smelling out the old roots from last year, digging them up, and dining on them. As far as I know dandelions and their roots are dog-safe...so I guess it's just bad for the appearance of my lawn, haha.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Send her over here....will be better than the luck I have getting rid of dandelions.....lol

Googled it......actually, dandelions are quite good for you and the dog I guess
"The quintessential garden and lawn weed, dandelions have a bad reputation among those who want grass that looks as uniform as a golf course, but every part of this common edible weed is tasty both raw and cooked, from the roots to the blossoms. Dandelion leaves can be harvested at any point in the growing season, and while the smaller leaves are considered to be less bitter and more palatable raw, the bigger leaves can be eaten as well, especially as an addition to a green salad. If raw dandelion leaves don't appeal to you, they can also be steamed or added to a stir-fry or soup, which can make them taste less bitter. The flowers are sweet and crunchy, and can be eaten raw, or breaded and fried, or even used to make dandelion wine. The root of the dandelion can be dried and roasted and used as a coffee substitute, or added to any recipe that calls for root vegetables."

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
According to ND the raw leaves are super high in vitamin K and A and with one ounce at 1% of your daily nutrient needs except for fat and selenium is above 1% on all essential nutrients. Guess we all ought to be rooting out and eating our dandelions!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I WISH my dogs would dig up the dandelions! They just make the holes bigger after I have pulled them up. (I don't use herbicides either). With water restrictions in California due to the drought, it seems the only plants growing well are the native weeds.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Every time I take my dogs out for a walk, Sherman likes to roll all over Dandelions and Truffles likes to eat the heads of them. Sherman will also nip at the base of them and I guess he's trying to get to the roots.

I discourage the behavior, because I live in an apartment and I'm not sure what they put on the ground, but I'm glad some one else out there has a pup addicted to Dandelions. Haha.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure she would love to eat up all of your guys' dandelion roots. That would be her dream come true!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Dandelions are actually really good greens for humans to eat too. They're leafs are fantastic in salads.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never actually eaten dandelion, myself....maybe Marley is trying to tell me something ;)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It's actually one of the most versatile weeds we have.

Here's a short summary of what dandelions can be used for when it comes to Edibility:

Edibility
Dandelions are found on all continents and have been gathered for food since prehistory, but the varieties cultivated for consumption are mainly native to Eurasia. A perennial plant, its leaves will grow back if the taproot is left intact. To make leaves more palatable, they are often blanched to remove bitterness or sauteed in the same way as spinach. Dandelion leaves and buds have been a part of traditional Slovenian, Sephardic, Chinese, and Korean cuisine. In Crete, Greece, the leaves of a variety called Mari (Μαρί), Mariaki (Μαριάκι) or Koproradiko (Κοπροράδικο) are eaten by locals, either raw or boiled, in salads. Taraxacum megalorhizon, a species endemic to Crete, is eaten in the same way; it is found only at high altitudes (1000 to 1600 m) and in fallow sites, and is called pentaramia (πενταράμια) or agrioradiko (αγριοράδικο).

The flower petals, along with other ingredients, usually including citrus, are used to make dandelion wine. The ground, roasted roots can be used as a caffeine-free dandelion coffee. Dandelion was also traditionally used to make the traditional British soft drink dandelion and burdock, and is one of the ingredients of root beer. Also, dandelions were once delicacies eaten by the Victorian gentry, mostly in salads and sandwiches.

Dandelion leaves contain abundant vitamins and minerals, especially vitamins A, C and K, and are good sources of calcium, potassium, iron and manganese.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum#Edibility)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info, everyone! Looks like I'm gonna have to try some dandelion...if Marls leaves any for me in the yard, haha.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for all the info, everyone! Looks like I'm gonna have to try some dandelion...if Marls leaves any for me in the yard, haha.
Dandelions are great when they first peek thru & then they get bitter. I usually miss the right time every year! They are great with bacon dressing, but that may be a PA Dutch sort of thing. My first Springer Bess also loved the roots & would totally eat every one I dug up. She & Springer #2 Ren used to love plantain (?) leaves also. My lawn was a virtual smorgesboard (SP).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no idea where to post this, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

Marley has recently become obsessed with digging up, and subsequently eating, dandelion roots. She has never done this before. She normally eats the tops of dandelions in our yard in the summer (our yard isn't treated with anything, so I don't mind), but this behaviour is new...and she is pretty relentless about wanting to be outside to dig/eat.

Does anyone elses dog do this? Can anyone think of why she is doing this? I know that dandelion is touted for having many nutritional benefits...could it be that she needs something added to her diet that dandelion provides?
Both my dogs eat it and dig at it like maniacs. The female will run like crazy after she eats it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
2,427 Posts
This thread is eight years old so I'm closing it to further replies. Feel free to join in any of our current discussions or start a new thread of your own!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.