Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day #2 now, he's 4 months...I'm assuming he's just scared?

He's gone in his crate twice.

What can I do?

i take him out every half hour...he doesn't even try and sniff the grass. I have to force him to.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A lot of it probably is fear. My dog, who is very good with housebreaking issues, wouldn't go for the first day at all with me.

Can you wait him out? Of course, I'm assuming you don't have two feet of snow on the ground like I do right now.

I would stay outside, when he finally goes give him a marker word, along with lots of praise and a treat. While he's inside, I'd have him tethered to you until you can trust him.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Shovel a clear area for him to do his potty in.

Take some of his feces and put in that area. If he's peed in his crate, wipe up with a paper towel, and rub it on the ground in the spot you want him to go. Take him out there when he wakes up, after eating, after playing and give him a verbal command, like "find a good spot" "go potty" etc.

If you have somewhere close where other dogs poop, take him there.

Keep him tethered to you at all times so you can watch for "I've goota go" signals (sniffing ground, circling).

If you know anyone with a dog, see if they will bring that dog over to go pee on a bush or something near your house, that you can make into your dog's potty spot. They like to pee where other dogs have gone.

Don't force him to sniff. You want going outside to be pleasant not anxiety producing.

He'll get better as he feels more secure.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If you have all that snow on the ground... maybe he's a little freaked out by being outside itself?

This morning it rained (hard) today for the first time. My pups have been going potty outdoors very well, but this morning, they just sat in the doorway, shaking (the rain was coming down quite hard). I knew I had to get them comfortable in driving cold rain.

So, I knelt down just outside the door, held up one of their favorite treats, and coaxed them gently to come. They trembled for a moment then came out and took the treat, then ran back in. I repeated... this time they were standing on the doorstep in the rain and I praised them gushily.

Then, I walked out a few more steps and knelt with another treat in hand. They came to me... I praised... then I walked over to the grass this time and repeated.

They quickly overcame their fear and peepeed within minutes. Then they happily ran around in the rain that they were so afraid of moments before.

So if I were you, I'd take it in two steps... first get him very comfortable outside (treats, praise him heartily, etc.)... then as the second step, everything that spotted nikes suggested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know what it is...but he has REFUSED to go.

I take him out on long walks frequently, and he only sniffs around on the grass. The other day, I even brought a chair outside and waited with him until he went. This went on for 4 HOURS, AND HE DIDN'T GO.

I bring him inside....the second he gets into his room, he goes.

Also, I brought him to a friend's house for the day 2 days ago. Gone for at least 7 hours. He didn't go to the bathroom ONCE while at his house, but sure enough, as soon as he gets back to his room, he goes!

He has no signals...he will be continuing his daily activity, and all of a sudden make the SLIGHTEST squat -- it almost looks like he is stretching his legs out from a night's sleep.

I'm really at a loss of what to do...this has been going on every single time I take him out, multiple times per day.

What else could I possibly do??

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know what it is...but he has REFUSED to go.

I take him out on long walks frequently, and he only sniffs around on the grass. The other day, I even brought a chair outside and waited with him until he went. This went on for 4 HOURS, AND HE DIDN'T GO.

I bring him inside....the second he gets into his room, he goes.

Also, I brought him to a friend's house for the day 2 days ago. Gone for at least 7 hours. He didn't go to the bathroom ONCE while at his house, but sure enough, as soon as he gets back to his room, he goes!

He has no signals...he will be continuing his daily activity, and all of a sudden make the SLIGHTEST squat -- it almost looks like he is stretching his legs out from a night's sleep.

I'm really at a loss of what to do...this has been going on every single time I take him out, multiple times per day.

What else could I possibly do??
Is this the OP? Did you change your username? This account was started the day after the last activity of the other one.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
"Cometh' has only one 'm', too. =P

Back on topic though, have you tried using a litterbox or pee-pads? I know it's not what most people idealize, but if your dog is small and nothing else has worked, try training them to use those indoors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dogs learn things from other dogs-good and bad. Do you know anybody with a pup or small dog that can over to play? Perhaps the other dog can show him what to do ? Just an idea :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts