Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I'm at a loss on what to do. Any opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

6 days ago I took my 13 year old Dachshund to his regular vet for a nail trim. He hates this and fights it so they have to muzzle him while one person holds him down the other does the trim. They always take him in the back where I can't see bc they say he's "better when I'm not around."
When we got home after his nail trim on Thursday, he was limping. I examined his paws,nails,toes etc and everything was great so I just figured he was a little sore from them probably holding his arms too tight. However, over the weekend he got worse and then better. I made sure to restrict activities,pretty much strict crate rest, and then on Monday, though still hobbling, I thought he was better. Tues a.m. he ran to the door to potty and yelped. After that its been down hill. He can't walk without limping,cannot out weight on his front right paw,yelps when trying to get comfortable, screams when eating even though I elevate his bowl. Its not good.
Obviously the vet tech that trimmed his nails pulled too hard on his front leg or squeezed too hard or something! He was perfect before! I called the vet and explained the situation and told them I didn't want to end up spending hundreds on xrays,etc the injury was a result of something that happened while he was there. I brought him in and the vet did a quick physical exam. Pulled on toes,manipulated the arm,etc. My boy was yelping and screaming through his muzzle and when I asked if the vet thought it was this or that bc he was in pain during the exam, the vet simply said "no,he's just doing that bc he doesn't like me examining him."
His diagnosis: a pinched nerve. He sent us home with tramadol(pain killer for 2x a day) and prednisone. He did not do any xrays and I am concerned of a torn ligament or muscle or even disk issue in his neck.
He is in a lot of pain unless he is laying down in his crate,even with the meds.
He cannot stand and eat. I have had to hold the bowl up to him and even so he screams. He rounds his back and holds his right front pay up. Its terrible to watch.
A little a background on my boy:
⚫13 years old.
⚫had spinal surgery in 2007 due to IVDD
⚫had another reoccurrence of IVDD in back and possibly in neck in 2012,successfully treated with steroids and crate rest.
⚫Jan 2014 had surgery to remove massive tumor on spleen,both tumor and spleen were removed and he was diagnosed with a deadly form of cancer: hemangiosarcoma.
⚫recovered great from surgery. Not doing chemo. Treating him holistically.

I don't know what to do. My gut instinct is that it is not a "pinched nerve" in his neck. He whines when his front leg is manipulated.

I do not want to take him back to his vet but I feel they are obligated to make this right!
How do I even go about finding a new vet that I can trust? I thought this vet was good,he's been going to see him for a couple years now,but after this I don't trust them.

Thank you for reading my long post! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Take him to a different vet for a second opinion. Otherwise, hand feed him, keep up with the prednisone and tramadol and crate rest.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I would definitely be seeing a different vet, they might just be covering their own a** if this is an injury as a result of their practice...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies! As of today, he seems a little better (thank goodness) but still wobbling and weak. The prednisone is making him super thirsty and he has these panting fits (which I've learned is a side effect to the med) but I'm hoping he's doing better.
I've begun my search online to find another vet. He'll need to get rechecked by Tuesday as well as tapered off the prednisone so I need to find a new vet in a hurry :-( with all his health issues, I don't want to take him to just any vet I find online. Unfortunately, I don't really have anyone else to ask for a referral.
It's been a rough past few days,hand feeding,giving meds on time, poor thing getting so sick of being in his crate 24/7. I did notice his hips/back legs trembling when he does go out to potty. I don't let him walk too much,nor does he want to when he's out there (he'll literally stop and sit or lay down,probably bc it hurts him) but when he's standing his back end trembles. Any idea why? It was happening before this incident, but mainly only after walks.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Glad your boy is improving.
I'm an oldie, myself. With an old body, sometimes things go off. Often they heal themselves if you allow the needed R&R.
It may be that something happened at the vet, or it may just be one of those things. I pulled my back badly sitting on the loo about 10 days ago. I'm in good shape, and after a few days of awful pain, I'm back to running a few miles a day with no doctoring other than a handful of aspirin.

If you have doubts about your vet, it's worth noting where you are located in your member profile and again in your post. Perhaps someone knows a good vet or dog chiropracter (or occupuncturist or other healer) in your area.

If problems persist, alternate therapies such as message, swim therapy, and occupuncture are worth a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad your boy is improving.
I'm an oldie, myself. With an old body, sometimes things go off. Often they heal themselves if you allow the needed R&R.
It may be that something happened at the vet, or it may just be one of those things. I pulled my back badly sitting on the loo about 10 days ago. I'm in good shape, and after a few days of awful pain, I'm back to running a few miles a day with no doctoring other than a handful of aspirin.

If you have doubts about your vet, it's worth noting where you are located in your member profile and again in your post. Perhaps someone knows a good vet or dog chiropracter (or occupuncturist or other healer) in your area.

If problems persist, alternate therapies such as message, swim therapy, and occupuncture are worth a try.

Thank you sandgrubber for your input and advice. I'm in central Fl too. Clermont area. I did some research online and have made an appointment for Tuesday at a different vet. This other vet was voted as one of the best in Orlando and I read lots of good reviews online so fingers crossed.
While swim therapy and massage and those other things sound wonderful, he's not exactly good with strangers handling him ,especially when he's in pain. He has bitten someone pretty severely at a clinic when he was screaming in pain from a reoccurrence of his IVDD. The lady,a complete stranger, who had zero experience in how to even properly support a Dachshund's back and obviously not much experience with animals who are in a severe pain,reached in(face first) to the crate they had put him in and attempted to pull him out. It was a horrible experience,to say the least, for the lady and for my little one.
Glad you are feeling better!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts