Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, not really guinea pigs. But they sure look like it at the moment lol. They are actually Rough Collie pups.

Long story short, my MIL is currently staying with my husband and myself for an undetermined amount of time :)frusty:). Anyways, we agreed that she could get a puppy while she was here (she lost her previous dog last year). By the time her puppy is ready to be brought home, our Bentley will be 10 months, so at least there is a little bit of an age gap.

They are only a week old, so still 7-8 more weeks before the puppy comes home. She chose a sable male (#7 in the pic above).

I've had 2 dogs at once before, but never the same sex and never so close in age. Do you guys think we will have any issues with this? Bentley is great with ALL dogs, but then again, we have never brought another dog into HIS house, he is always the one visiting other dogs elsewhere.

Also, she asked me to help think of names. Every name I've thrown her way she hasn't liked. So some name suggestions would be good too lol.

P.S ~ if it had of been MY choice, I totally would have chosen one of the merles lol

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Toby was 16 months old when we brought home Cameron (5 months at the time). Toby had already been neutered when we got Cameron. There was only one short period of time where there were any problems. That was the period from when Cameron was about 8 months old until we had him neutered. He was getting to be a bit of a pill and Toby wasn't putting up with it from his "little brother". To be perfectly honest, most dogs weren't dealing well with Cameron at that time, either. Once he was neutered he settled down and all has been good. They're now almost 8 years old and almost 7 years old and they're absolutely brothers.

Here are some names we had come up with for males before we settled on our guys' names: Roman, Nolan, Seth and Aidan.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rowdy.

That's what I was a little worried about. Bentley is already neutered, but he doesn't take too kindly to being humped AT ALL. He really hates it and it's the only time I've ever seen him snarl and snap at another dog. And it will still be a long while after we bring the collie home until he get's neutered. I know it's natural for dogs to try to hump each other, but Bentley has never been one to do it so I've never really had to deal with it. Is there a way we can train the puppy NOT to hump or should I just let them work it out themselves?

Thanks for the name suggestions too. I really like Nolan and Aidan. Gives me a couple more choices to throw at the MIL lol

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
We let them work it out. Toby set boundries and Cameron obeyed them. Of course, we were right there and didn't let it escalate beyond a little snarling and barking. I would expect Bentley to teach the puppy what is OK and what isn't.

And BTW, I'm with you on the blue merles (as you can see from my sig).

As far as names go, we were going to call Cameron "Timmy" because people kept coming up to Toby and saying, "Lassie, where's Timmy?". That way we could go "He's right there". When we told the breeder this she said that she wasn't going to sell us the dog if we were going to call him Timmy. We weren't sure if she was kidding or not, so we kept the name she'd been calling him. We're happy we did. Cameron fits him well.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
P.S ~ if it had of been MY choice, I totally would have chosen one of the merles lol
Male 7 is a merle, just a sable merle. ;)

They're really cute! Collies are so pretty.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't think you'll have problems with Bentley, because he'll help raise the pup. Try not to reprimand him for growling at the pup. If he snaps at the pup with no intention of biting, that is allowable, also. Teeth on a pup is a timeout.

Most male dogs don't like to be humped. However, a quick snark (growl, snark, air snap) then calm down is perfectly acceptable and desirable. When the dog chases down the humper, or bites and hurts the humper, that things go too far. My old dog snarks rowdy puppies all the time. Sometimes he 'bites' them, b/c they dodge the wrong way, but all he does is slime them - no bloodshed, no pain. However, rowdy Lab pups quickly learn that he's all bark and no bites, so they torture him. And this is when I have to step in and save him.... acceptable and desirable. Bentley may be that way, also?

@Laurelin - There was a detailed DNA description of merle genes a few months ago, but I don't recall it. I thunk 'merle' was grey dappled... how can you tell that the pup is sable merle?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Male 7 is a merle, just a sable merle. ;)

They're really cute! Collies are so pretty.
He's got a bit of dappling (correct word?) on him but the breeder said he will lose that coloring as he gets older and be full sable. Not sure how correct she is, but that's what we were told.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I don't think you'll have problems with Bentley, because he'll help raise the pup. Try not to reprimand him for growling at the pup. If he snaps at the pup with no intention of biting, that is allowable, also. Teeth on a pup is a timeout.

Most male dogs don't like to be humped. However, a quick snark (growl, snark, air snap) then calm down is perfectly acceptable and desirable. When the dog chases down the humper, or bites and hurts the humper, that things go too far. My old dog snarks rowdy puppies all the time. Sometimes he 'bites' them, b/c they dodge the wrong way, but all he does is slime them - no bloodshed, no pain. However, rowdy Lab pups quickly learn that he's all bark and no bites, so they torture him. And this is when I have to step in and save him.... acceptable and desirable. Bentley may be that way, also?

@Laurelin - There was a detailed DNA description of merle genes a few months ago, but I don't recall it. I thunk 'merle' was grey dappled... how can you tell that the pup is sable merle?
I completely agree with this. If the puppy is being particularly persistent and annoying, the older dog may flip the puppy over and stand over him growling or snarling until the puppy submits. This is also OK as long as there is no intentional hurting. Toby had to do this a total of twice before Cameron got the big picture. Like I said, we were right there, ready to stop it if things escalated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts