Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our vet wants $85. I like him, but that is a lot of money.

Petco is $15 and Vip.pet.care is $19. The second says they have lifetime registration; don't now about the first one.

Are the cheap ones likely to be okay? Don't want to save $65 and buy a product that doesn't work or causes an infection.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
A microchip is a very straightforward thing. Regardless which manufacturer, once the chip is in your dog will be traced back to you. No need to pay the annual fee for whatever add-ons. I've inserted hundreds of microchips (on mice, dogs, cats, rabbits). I microchipped my own dog. Our shelter does if for $15-20, I forget. I have never seen it cause an infection. And it only doesn't work if someone misfires and didn't actually put it in.

I cannot fathom why your vet wants $85 for this simple thing. Honestly, it's easier than nail clipping most dogs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ours was $60 through our vet and came with a year of additional things -- you could send out an alert to any nearby shelters/vets/etc if your dog went missing, which sent them all your pets information and a picture so they could be aware the dog was missing and to be on the lookout, there was an emergency vet you could call that did a host of things, etc. I didn't renew that this year because we moved and now we're in such a small area, I don't know if it is worth it.

As Canyx said, mistagging is the only way it won't work. It is just a PIT tag, and a PIT tag is a PIT tag. We once scanned Quill with our small mammal PIT tag reader and, not too surprisingly, it worked. It is a really straightforward procedure and so long as they check to be sure it was inserted correctly (I would assume they do it by ruffling the fur a bit to make sure it doesn't fall out and then scanning the dog, but I don't know for sure), it should be fine no matter where you get it.

But, like I said, my vet offered additional stuff with ours. I did it with the vet because Quill is squirmy about strangers touching his back, so it was worth the extra to have someone he knows do it.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Maybe your vet is including an overall checkup in that price?
That was my thoughts too. The $85 may include a visit fee. I would ask, at any rate.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
Microchipping is not complicated, it is not even a "vet" task. It is a large needle with a small chip, kind of similar to a needle used for blood donations for humans vs vaccine needles for humans just to give a size and ouchy comparison.

If you are worried that the chip did not fully insert or settle in the insertion spot, just have any vet or shelter or many big box pet stores run a reader over the shoulder blades to check.

Going rate here is $15-25. The city runs chip clinics at cost, private shelters also do them low fee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts