Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, slightly different situation than others have expressed. We have two grown dogs -- both rescues and both of varied lineage. One is a 40 lb. spaniel mix, the other a purebred Shitzu. They get along well. When our third dog passed away about a month ago, we decided to add another dog. This weekend we brought home a beautiful 5 month old Samoyed puppy. Ever since, our spaniel mix has been going out of her mind with fear. Puppy is just being puppy but she is about 40 lbs and quite a bit taller than our spaniel. I admit we did not intro the new dog outside -- rain prevented it. Every time the puppy gets near the other dog runs and hides.

We keep the pup in a crate at night (others are bed dogs). But I've never seem my spaniel so terrified and pitiful looking and I can't tell you the guilt I feel about doing this.

Other than taking the puppy back which isn't an option, what can I do now?

Micky

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Put up baby gates and allow the Spaniel to see without having to contact the new puppy.

Be sure to spend Quality time with the Spaniel. Let the Spaniel watch you play with the puppy from behind the gate

1 - 2 of 2 Posts