Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some interesting posts running right now about breeders and competitors and how dogs are treated and decisions about culling and breeding.

How do forum members feel about employees at high intake/high kill shelters who euthanize large volumes of healthy, friendly animals?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
The employees themselves? They have the worst job I can even imagine. I don't think any thing about them personally, just that I can never do it myself.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The people at the animal shelter here, in the adoptions center are really great, and helpful. I had someone saying some really disparaging remarks about the shelter here (that they are awful and bad people because they aren't no kill). I kind of disagree though, I mean... what else are they supposed to do? They are TRYING to get the dogs adopted out. It's not their fault the crisis the dogs are in, it's the BYB's, and everyone supporting them. They are doing the best they can, in a terrible situation.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
It depends.

Are you talking about the underling employees who are just carrying out the job that they are employed to do? I can't think badly of them - responsibility for the death of those animals lands squarely on the shoulders of those who dumped them at the shelter and those who brought them into existence in the first place.

Now if you're talking about the people with more control (those who manage and run the high kill shelters), then I may be willing to pass judgement, but only on a case-by-case basis. In other words, how hard are they trying to find appropriate homes, and to what extent do they just not care?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I worked in a high kill shelter for 2 years. I never had to euthanize dogs, they would use the vet students usually to do that. But really either way you cannot pass judgement on the people who have to carry that out as their job. It's a horrible job but it's not their decision.

Now, I will say our shelter was run badly. I definitely have a lot of criticism for the people at the top of the ladder and think there was a lot more they could have done to reduce euthanasia numbers. But that wasn't the fault of the people having to do the actual injecting.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It depends.

Are you talking about the underling employees who are just carrying out the job that they are employed to do? I can't think badly of them - responsibility for the death of those animals lands squarely on the shoulders of those who dumped them at the shelter and those who brought them into existence in the first place.

Now if you're talking about the people with more control (those who manage and run the high kill shelters), then I may be willing to pass judgement, but only on a case-by-case basis. In other words, how hard are they trying to find appropriate homes, and to what extent do they just not care?
Yeah, that.

Even if the system is totally corrupt (and maybe it is), it's not the employees' fault. They're just trying to pay their bills like everybody else.

I do think that individual employees can be bad apples, of course. Those who don't treat the animals kindly, those who plain don't care, etc. But generally they're just people in need of a job to keep themselves and their family housed and fed, and that's the job they were able to find.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I worked at a high kill shelter. Most high kill shelters are contracted by the city/county to pick up strays. Just imagine if you saw a pack of dogs running the streets. You made a call and you were told sorry the shelter is full and no one will come out and pick up the dogs. If you called on an injured animal and were told sorry, the shelter full can not help the animal. Some no-kills shelter are based on they do not kill adoptable or treatable animals. Here is a website http://www.nokillnow.com/definition_nokill.htm that better defines what no kill really is. Can shelters do more to lower the numbers? Yes, but so can all the dog owners within that county. I saw really nice dogs be euthanized because their owners opted to not pay the fines. But yet I was called the bad guy. These owners went and got another puppy. No one was going to this guy's house and calling him a killer. During my employment there all my family, friends and neighbors ended up with dogs/cats from there. I think those people were the happiest when my employment came to an end.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The people at the animal shelter here, in the adoptions center are really great, and helpful. I had someone saying some really disparaging remarks about the shelter here (that they are awful and bad people because they aren't no kill). I kind of disagree though, I mean... what else are they supposed to do? They are TRYING to get the dogs adopted out. It's not their fault the crisis the dogs are in, it's the BYB's, and everyone supporting them. They are doing the best they can, in a terrible situation.
Interestingly enough, most that disparage the shelters aren't really interested in doing anything about the problem though. The local shelter I work with used to be high kill and when the rescue I work with would have events, people would come up to us all the time and criticize the shelter for killing kittens and puppies. When we said that if we had more foster homes, we could pull more animals out and asked them if they wanted to foster or even help out at fundraisers, they couldn't run away fast enough.

Luckily, my local shelter director was fired over a year ago, and the new one is wonderful. They achieved a 79% adoption rate for 2011 which is very good for the small, rural area that I live in. We are all very proud of the work they do.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I don't really understand the question. Why would I think anything at all about them? Most of them are probably working within a system they have little control over and taking up other people's slack with limited resources.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I can't bring myself to complain about pet over-population, while simultaneously criticizing those who are actually doing something about it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The employees themselves? They have the worst job I can even imagine. I don't think any thing about them personally, just that I can never do it myself.
This^

I'm sure there are shelter employees that are only involved because they have bills, rent, etc just like everybody else.

For me, I've wanted a shelter position for ages(why is it so hard to land a shelter job?). I want to be involved in helping dogs find homes and stay in those home permanently. I want to be part of the solution. Surely many of the shelter staffers out there are in it for the same reason and for the love of animals. One person can only do so much about high kill rates before they end up on a hoarder television show...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
There are some interesting posts running right now about breeders and competitors and how dogs are treated and decisions about culling and breeding.

How do forum members feel about employees at high intake/high kill shelters who euthanize large volumes of healthy, friendly animals?
I feel badly for them. Having worked (volunteer) in a shelter, I know how difficult the job is for them (and I never had to euth - though a few times my opinion ended up being life or death for a dog) Many suffer burn out and move quickly to easier careers. At first they came across gruff and somewhat uncaring. But the longer I worked with them, the more I respected them, for doing a nasty job that nobody wants to do.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If the owner brings the dog in - it's the OWNER'S fault. Not the breeder, of whatever quality. I've run into people who would willingly dump a dog, even though the breeder would take the dog back.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It depends.

I've had many conversations with the superintendent of our local shelter, served on committees with her, etc. What has to be realized about those who manage and run high kill shelters is that they are at the whim of municipal governments. When budgets are tight, chances are police protection and good garbage pickup are going to get funded before expanded adoption hours and sufficient personnel for the shelter.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If the owner brings the dog in - it's the OWNER'S fault. Not the breeder, of whatever quality. I've run into people who would willingly dump a dog, even though the breeder would take the dog back.
yeah, if people would just approach dog ownership like they do marriage...........wait, bad example............

·
Registered
764 Posts
There are several breeders in our area that use the local shelter as a dumping ground - generally when the breeder decides that they aren't cute enough to sell anymore. So, at least around here, breeders (bybs mostly) are part of the problem.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
If you mean the people who's job it is to actually do the euth, I can't imagine having that job and I have to give them credit; I assume they are kind and gentle and the pets know that as they pass.

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's a pound here that basically my entire country is petitioning against. hey are horrific. Waaay too many stories about vets refusing to sign death row pets over to rescue groups.

However except for these cases, I assume these are just people doing their job. They have my empathy.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There are several breeders in our area that use the local shelter as a dumping ground - generally when the breeder decides that they aren't cute enough to sell anymore. So, at least around here, breeders (bybs mostly) are part of the problem.
Just curious -- is that a no-kill shelter?

Reason for my curiousity is, it sometimes seems as though privately funded shelters and rescue organizations actively recruit puppies, as a sort of fund-raising opportunity. Kind of like they are functioning as a retail outlet. That's just a general impression, I have no real evidence.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just curious -- is that a no-kill shelter?

Reason for my curiousity is, it sometimes seems as though privately funded shelters and rescue organizations actively recruit puppies, as a sort of fund-raising opportunity. Kind of like they are functioning as a retail outlet. That's just a general impression, I have no real evidence.
Nope, not a no-kill shelter. It is the local, tax-funded animal control. Walk in and take home an animal for $20.

Oh, and I do volunteer with a private rescue (no shelter though), and the dogs that we have pulled from the shelter that have been dumped by breeders typically cost way more to get healthy then we charge for an adoption fee. I don't know of any legitimate rescue that makes money on its adoptions. Maybe one here and there if we are lucky, but not very often.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts