Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On thanksgiving 2008 my companion of 16.5 years passed away. I lived with the empty spot in my heart for a week and a half and found my new puppy, Niyana. I got her from the pound and they said that mom is a dutch shepherd but dad was a traveling salesman. He brother was a blue brindle and her sister was reddish brown with a black nose. Her tail will cover her rump but cannot straighten at the end. I have been trying to figure out what other breeds are in her blood. Any ideas? She is now 9 months old and 53 pounds. She has a thick double coat and loves the water to cool down. I thought about the DNA to satisfy my curiosity but then the mystery would be gone so I thought I would ask the forum. She is extremely smart and well behaved.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I see tiger *wink*!
Really I have no idea about what mix she is but that is one pretty dog!!!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Looking at the face, I see Golden or Lab mixed with Shepherd. The brindle color could be Dutchie. The curled tail could be Akita, Chow, Spitz, or some breed that doesn't normally have a curled tail but which produces individuals with.

My Golden carries his tail slightly bowed and level with his topline, or down and straight. When he's alert, excited, or looking to make some mischief (about 96% of the time) he carries it high with a definite curl to it. I've seen (what looked like) purebred Goldens, Labs, and Shepherds with even curlier tails than his.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi...he looks like he might be a...

Catahoula Leopard Dog:)...they come in all colors - I've posted a pic of one, just in case you're not aware of the breed --- look familiar?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mystery mixes are fun aren't they? Niyana's tail is so tightly curled that it is hard walking her on a leash because it gets caught in it!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
She reminds me of Misha who was a Catahoula mix. She was on the smaller side topping out at 45#. She was stocky, brindle (which I love) and smart as a whip! Misha also loved the water...so long as she could walk into it.

Mine are both mutts and I really don't mind knowing for sure. It's really fun to just love 'em as they are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts