Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I am new here and this prob. was a thread before so sorry if it was. My problem is with wicket. very good dog Most of the time, problem with him is cat chasing. he does it constantly. Poor cats are annoyed with him so much all he has to do is walk by them now and you can hear the angry rowwllllsss.
He is an indoor dog as well as my cats...my other dog does great with them, barely pays any attention to them actualy. I know Wicket has very strong hunting instincts and I walk him alot as he is very high energy. He is a mix so not really sure on what breeds he is. I found him outside as a puppy right before thanksgiving, someone dumped the poor little guy. Squirt bottles work to a point. Here is a picture of the offender, acting cute, don't let him fool ya :)

Attachments

·
Banned
221 Posts
He appears to still be a puppy and is probably just trying to play with the cats. In my house, it's the cat's responsibility to avoid the dogs. They can tell when they should stay away any particular dog and when it's safe to approach him. Sometimes I see cats and dogs touching noses and sometimes i see the same dog chasing the same cat. The cats can quickly and easily get to a place that dogs can't reach such as behind a couch or under a lounge chair or behind the console tv or book case. They can also jump to high places like the kitchen counter or the back of a lounge chair.

Sometimes one of the cats will get a wild hair and attack a dog. He will wait behind a chair or door and when a dog passes the cat will sneak out and swipe the dogs leg from behind then run like the wind. :)

Basically what I'm trying to tell you is don't worry about it and let them take care of it. If a cat doesn't want to be bothered, I'm sure there are places he can get that is unreachable. I really enjoy watching the interactions between all my animals.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the same approach as Trainer, the cats avoid the dog if they don't want to deal with him.

However, my cats don't have claws and they are significantly larger than Mojo (he's 4 lbs and the cats are both more than 10 lbs easily). Mojo would have difficulty hurting the cats and the cats wouldn't fare a whole lot better with him (their teeth are sharp but he's got long hair that would protect him--plus he can hide in places the cats can't go).

One of Mojo's favorite games is for the cats to be sitting on the ottoman swiping their paws at him (on the floor) while he dodges their "wrath." And the cats aren't innocent either--these days they'll instigate a round of chase and swat just as quickly as Mojo.

If I had a large dog and cats, I doubt I'd feel comfy with my current strategy. I would likely reward my dog for ignoring the cats and give him lots and lots of treats and praise when they are around so he views having them around as a good thing. Although I would never leave a large dog unsupervised with declawed cats and I'd be very cautious about doing so with cats that still have claws.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My dog also drives my cats crazy. The first thing she does when she gets up in the morning is wait for the cats by the door before she goes out to go potty (my cats go out first thing in the morning as well) and the chases them across the back yard. Both of my cats are declawed and Bella weighs about 50lbs. She is also only 9 months old, so of course she wants to play,but I think my cats kind of like it. When she isn't chasing them they keeping walking around in front of her, teasing her.

I have the same take on it, the cats can get away from her and get on things were she can't get to them. If she seems to be playing too hard with them I get on to her, or spray her with the water bottle (which works rally good). I think as long as your dog isn't hurting the cat your dog will out grow the chasing.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I taught the look at me command to help me in that situation. My little doxie loved to chase the cats, and it wasn't always nice chasing. I taught her to watch me, and rewarded heavily with treats and praise and toys. That taught her that looking at me would be more rewarding than chasing that kitty. I would never leave her unsupervised with my cats though, she's a hunter, through and through. Good luck with your pup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts