Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Otis had his neuter today and I just called to see how he did and they said he had a Crypt neuter--and had to go into his abdomen to get them out??
I would think that they would have known pre-surgery that his testicles hadn't dropped yet???
Anyone have any input? I have to go and pick him up in an hour --anything I should ask? I know the girl said he'd have to have some pain med becasue of it--anything else I should ask?? :confused:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah. Testicles are pretty easy to palpate. They should have been aware (and informed you) prior to the procedure that his testicles were internalized and he would need an open surgery.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Has he seen this vet before ? The very first visit Red had to a vet , thats one of the first things he checked out , see if both were in the correct spot . If he's seen this vet before I would be asking that question , why wasnt it noticed before.Did they charge you any extra for the procedure ?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is not our normal vet because my vet is too short-staffed to carry a dog this big...BUT we did have a pre-check for his neuter with this vet and he "checked" Otis' goods...you'd THINK with a dog this size he'da known that that they didn't drop :mad:
As for the charging extra--I won't know till I go and pick him up in a little bit
--should I expect to be charged more???

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
yes, expect to be charged more. My mom's chihuahua had this done and it was the cost of a spay.

·
Registered
430 Posts
--should I expect to be charged more???
Yes. It's more extensive of a procedure to open up the abdomen. More akin to a spay than to a straight-forward neuter. If they palpated his scrotum, they certainly should have been able to feel that there was only one testicle in the scrotum and should have discussed the required surgery more in-depth with you. Animals are rarely born with just one testicle having developed. If there aren't two in the scrotum, then one is *somewhere* in the abdomen. Nevertheless, he needed to be neutered regardless of the increased cost because cryptorchids have a higher risk of developing testicular cancer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, you will be charged more, possibly a lot more because of his size. Crypt neuters take longer and he may have had more sedation. Complications like edema and infection are more common in crypt neuters in large dogs. Make sure you speak to a vet about complications and signs to watch for, not just the tech. I would discuss the issue of you not be informed of a more complicated procedure prior to surgery (or heck, even during, they could have called you). I would ask about some NSAID's also and set up an appointment in a few days to recheck his incision.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dansamy--this is what I thought...Grrr.....

Either way he was getting neutered--I just would like to have known about this beforehand. Going to go and pick him up now...update you when I get back

Thanks everyone...and keep your thoughts comin

ETA: Thanks Tuesday--will do that too

·
Registered
49 Posts
Otis had his neuter today and I just called to see how he did and they said he had a Crypt neuter--and had to go into his abdomen to get them out??
I would think that they would have known pre-surgery that his testicles hadn't dropped yet???
Anyone have any input? I have to go and pick him up in an hour --anything I should ask? I know the girl said he'd have to have some pain med becasue of it--anything else I should ask?? :confused:

Yeah If the testical doesnt drop it is in the abdomen and eventually they would have to be removed as they need cause problems if they dont drop. xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully everything went well. You should definitely ask the vet why they didn't call to tell you during the procedure. I work at a vet's office and whenever something comes up in surgery we ALWAYS call the owner to let them know and see if they want to discuss options. I'm sorry that whoever you went to was too stupid to not be prepared. Good luck to you and for recovery he should do well. Usually you just want to make sure he is quiet for the first 5-7 days, no running, jumping, playing too hard.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The recovery will definitely be more involved than with a regular neuter...more along the lines of a spay. I'm curious as to why this caught the vet by surprise...or even you. I mean, especially on a big dog, it's not to hard to count 1...2 danglies.

I picked up some dogs from the track a while back and was bathing them the next day to find that one of the boys had no 'jewels.' I called the racing kennel owner to see if he'd already been neutered for some reason but he hadn't. They just never dropped. Oy, was that adoption group not thrilled with that little surprise. Felt bad for the dog too...bad enough when they have to hunt for one, much less two :( Sometimes they're easy to find...sometimesn not.

I hope Otis is home and doing well!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's home and seems to be doing fine so far...so that is a big relief....
The vet...ugh....I went in and they told me it was $75 more for doing the open Neuter...I was not happy. The vet wasn't there, so I could not talk to him personally, but I asked the 2 girls there WHY I wasn't informed of this at our pre-neuter visit a month ago--or even why nobody called when they discovered it this morning...they couldn't give me an answer :mad: --I told them I was not going to pay the extra amount until someone could tell me WHY I wasn't informed....they agreed with me and so I just paid the amount that I was quoted originally.

I will be calling our regular vet in the morning and seeing what they have to say about this...It is just all so strange...and I hope that my vet will take these stitches out in 2 weeks because I am NOT happy with the way this place handled the situation today...I just hope Otis heals fast and has no problems..it's not about the money--I just want him to be okay--and so far he seems to be good.

Thank you everyone for your experiences and thoughts--I may be back for more..so be prepared ;)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hm. Well that stinks. I bet it was expensive enough as it was for such a big boy!!! I had to call around to find anything under $300 for Charlie's neuter - and he is only 30 lbs!!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Give that sweet boy a big hug for me.

I am glad the surgery went well. I hope his recovery is speedy. He will probably just be a little more laid back for a few extra days. Spoil the heck out of him in the meantime. I am happy for you it is over. Now you can breath easier. Look at it this way, you didn't have to worry about it ahead of time because you didn't know. I would be mad too but I am trying to think of the up side. ;)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys :)
Inga--I know what you mean about the making me worry thing if I did know...but still..I really don't like the way they handled it....they could have atleast called me after the surgery and told me about it--I didn't find out until I called at 2pm to check on him....Oh---and Hugs have been given a million and a half times ;)

What kind of dog is Otis?
He's a 19 month old English Mastiff

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
My cousin's kitten was cryptorchid....he had NOTHING. The vet grilled us on whether he could have been neutered very young---we were pretty sure he hadn't, as he was taken off the streets as a baby and bottle-fed, but we waited until he started acting (and smelling!) like a tom before we did the surgery, just in case. They had to cut him in 3 places to find both testes.

.....I would certainly think they could have determined whether Otis was cryptorchid before now! Seems like it would have been obvious. Was it just one testicle that didn't drop, or both?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My cousin's kitten was cryptorchid....he had NOTHING. The vet grilled us on whether he could have been neutered very young---we were pretty sure he hadn't, as he was taken off the streets as a baby and bottle-fed, but we waited until he started acting (and smelling!) like a tom before we did the surgery, just in case. They had to cut him in 3 places to find both testes.

.....I would certainly think they could have determined whether Otis was cryptorchid before now! Seems like it would have been obvious. Was it just one testicle that didn't drop, or both?
Poor kitty!!!
It was just one that didn't drop--but I hear that they can go up and down, so that may be what happened??? :confused:
Sugar, did you get a chance to talk to the vet? Either your regular one or the vet who did the surgery?
I called to talk to the vet that did the surgery, but he never called me back...so either he knows he was in the wrong or just didn't get a chance to call--I don't know...but I will be going to our regular vet to have the stitches removed. I already called my vet and he said if we needed anything to let him know and he'd be glad to take care of Otis for me....

Other than that, he is doing great and the stitches look great...he's even laying on his back like he always does all sprawled out :) You 'd never think he was just snipped a few days ago-so that makes me very happpy!!!
Thanks everyone for your replies--you really helped me out!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts