Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think I'd have so many question as I've been reading the forums for about a year before I finally took the dive and got my puppy but wow some things you just are not prepared for!

So Benji will cry all day if you let him. In the crate it is non stop... Although if I put him in the soft carrier I've been using for the car and short outings (because it attaches to the seatbelt and is lighter) he is fine. In the wire crate he acts as if he's being killed... Crying and attempting to climb on the sides, biting the wires, the plastic crate the breeder sent him in I keep out but tend to not crate him in because he chews the plastic. Now if he is dead tired, I can put him in the crate when he is clearly dead tired and sleeping and close the door and he is fine. I can even leave the room without a peep. Same for the gated area I have been putting him in to get used to when I return to work tomorrow. If he's awake and I'm cleaning or cooking he will cry and never stop. At night he'll cry for about 15-20 min and then climb in my laundry basket and settle down.

Now this crying I can deal with! But when I take him out of his gated area when I'm done cleaning / cooking and tether him to me he will sit next to me and cry. He doesn't have to use the bathroom (he never cries about that just goes in his litter box 75% of the time or I put him there when I see he hasn't gone in 1-2 hours). He's not hungry... I'm thinking maybe he wants to play or wants attention but will show no interest in toys and I'm not going to baby him and carry him everywhere. Has anyone else's puppy been like this?? I know initially when you bring them home they will cry if they aren't next to you but the very few moments I give him a little bit of freedom (right after he's went to the bathroom) he will curl up in a ball and take a nap on the other side of the room so I figured he was over this. I mostly just ignore him but I figured I'd post and see if there was something I was missing!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd say he's just been a typical puppy. Cali has always been really vocal, and still sometimes whines for no apparent reason. Usually I just go do something with her or I'll just take her outside again just to be sure.

ETA: Although, I think we'll need some pictures just so we know you're not lying to us all about this puppy! :p (completely kidding of course, but Pap puppies are the cutest!)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HAHA I do need to upload some pictures!!!! I have been taking them on my phone so when I post I can't upload them but I am going to start being better about using the camera!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't even think about that GottaLuvMutts. He is teething and I got him one of those bones you freeze as well as the one with the ridges and bumps thats supposed to clean their teeth. He prefers the one with the ridges than anything else. I do notice he doesn't readily pick them up to play with on his own. He only chews on them when I give them to him... But that could be why he is crying!

·
Registered
703 Posts
My Sacha cried a bit. I would pick her up, hold her on my lap, hum or sing to her quietly and stroke her gently until she settled or fell asleep. I only had to do it a few times. This was when she was still a baby. My husband said she missed her mommy and her siblings :-(

Bob never needed or wanted this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts