Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a different thread because this is an entirely different problem...

Yuma is crate trained, and until about a week ago was pretty quiet in the room his crate is in (unless Lucy gets excited when someone comes in the door and he can hear her jumping around like crazy).

Lucy was in a crate for about a month, which was too much for her (she injured herself trying to get out due to separation anxiety), so she can't be crated.

Yuma started randomly barking/flailing/crying when I'm not home, I think because he can't see Lucy or play with her. We've had Yuma for about 3 months now and they became fast friends. I have left the door to the room open before because I thought Lucy would like hanging in there with him, but my roommate's cat terrorizes Yuma by sticking her paws in his crate, which starts the barking. But I can't shut the two of them in the room together because I think Lucy would howl (which is what she did when confined in space).

Any ideas? I thought about buying a box fan to cover up noise? I can't do a radio because I leave home at 5:30 am and my roommates wouldn't appreciate that much ;)... I also thought about trying a citronella spray collar...

·
Registered
717 Posts
I started a different thread because this is an entirely different problem...

Yuma is crate trained, and until about a week ago was pretty quiet in the room his crate is in (unless Lucy gets excited when someone comes in the door and he can hear her jumping around like crazy).

Lucy was in a crate for about a month, which was too much for her (she injured herself trying to get out due to separation anxiety), so she can't be crated.

Yuma started randomly barking/flailing/crying when I'm not home, I think because he can't see Lucy or play with her. We've had Yuma for about 3 months now and they became fast friends. I have left the door to the room open before because I thought Lucy would like hanging in there with him, but my roommate's cat terrorizes Yuma by sticking her paws in his crate, which starts the barking. But I can't shut the two of them in the room together because I think Lucy would howl (which is what she did when confined in space).

Any ideas? I thought about buying a box fan to cover up noise? I can't do a radio because I leave home at 5:30 am and my roommates wouldn't appreciate that much ;)... I also thought about trying a citronella spray collar...
I never was successful crate training (the noise is not something neigbors will tolerate in a 3rd floor condo) and we had 3 big dogs.... We ended up gating off the living room, and not leaving them alone for more than a couple of hours....with lots of toys and chewies and walks.... (we had flexible schedules)....
I would experiment with something like that, I read your intro.... (Welcome to the Forum) they do sound pretty bonded, and I think that a good companion can really stabilize dog with seperation anxiety.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts