Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a senior dog before with crusty elbows, where the skin looks kind of wrinkly and the fur is missing, but I have 2 dogs now that have that problem and they are only 3 years old. What causes this?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep, my foster who spent two years at the shelter has a slightly crusty and bald elbow. It's looking a good deal better now after 11 weeks with me still not 100% yet though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers! I have hard floors all throughout my house. I have several area rugs, but the hard floors seem to be cooler so they like to sleep on them more. Anything I can put on them to help them?

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Sleeping on hard floors all the time isn't good on their joints, just like if we were to sleep on hard floors all the time. Still, as long as they have beds or couches to sleep on, I wouldn't worry too much about it. For me I think the callouses are mostly cosmetic. They will fade when the dogs stop lying on hard floors as much.

Cooling off on hard floors or tile is pretty normal. My dog sleeps on his side on hard floors so it doesn't really show up on his elbows. My dog is a bit of a brat so he's pretty good about finding what's comfortable for him. I got a portable AC this summer so my room is kept fairly cool and he would mostly just pass out on his own bed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have beds and are allowed on the furniture, but for some reason they choose to sleep on the floor. I am living in south Ga where it is hot, even with the air on. lol I am just glad to know it is nothing serious. They are long haired dogs and you cant really see them that well anyways. I just notice because I notice every change in them.

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Rubbing a little vitamin E into the skin can help, along with feeding a bit of fish oil (you can buy a bottle of it for dogs or break open the human branded fish oil capsules) daily.

If they have good sleeping options, then its just cosmetic for the most part. If they aren't spending too much time on the hard surface, I doubt it will hurt their joints. Some dogs have more sensitive skin and get those callouses very easily. Maybe get a Kuranda bed or cover a foam pad in a sheet? Something that 'feels' cooler than a rug might help encourage them to sleep on a softer surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts