Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it better to have a high fiber percentage or high protein percentage? I'm trying to decide whether to switch from Taste of the Wild to Earthborn Holistic Venture duck and pumpkin. TOTW crude fiber is 5% and Earthborn is 8%. The Venture is a lot more pricey than TOTW.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
That mostly depends on the dog. Personally, I would go with high protein, but if my dogs didn't do well on that I'd look for something with high protein and higher fiber.

My dogs do well on high fat high protein, as do many others. I've found fat content and overall quality of ingredients makes much more of a difference in bowel movements with my dogs than fiber content, but all dogs are different (and some medically require a higher fiber diet).

There are also a lot of different foods in that price range with various protein, fat, and fiber contents. Some of them cheaper, too.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
is it better to have a high fiber percentage or high protein percentage? I'm trying to decide whether to switch from Taste of the Wild to Earthborn Holistic Venture duck and pumpkin. TOTW crude fiber is 5% and Earthborn is 8%. The Venture is a lot more pricey than TOTW.
Are you looking specifically for a limited ingredient diet?

Because if not, and you're just considering that maybe extra fiber would help, then I suggest trying adding a little canned or plain cooked (NOT the pie filling) pumpkin to your dog's existing food. I am willing to bet that the high fiber content in the Venture line of Earthborn Holistic is due to a very high content of pumpkin. After all, its not just the second ingredient but depending on the formula, 13-22% of the protein in the food is from the pumpkin (and pumpkin is only 1g of protein in 100 grams raw; raw duck for example is 11 g protein per 100 grams)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Be careful of the base in Grain Free foods. I think Earthborn has a pea/garbonzo bean base as opposed to potato. Peas/beans can boost the crude protein on the label but the protein is not all available to the dog. Potato base is better than pea/bean. Fiber in dogs does not work in dogs the same way it does in people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts