Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone around San Diego area had their mastiff (cane corso) ears cropped? If so, when's the earliest latest to do it and a good vet dr..?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
To answer your question, ear cropping should be done between 7 and 12 weeks of age, with preference given to "the earlier, the better". The earlier it's done the easier the recovery and the less 'pain memory' the dog has. I'd recommend against ear cropping after 12 weeks of age, personally.

You could check here, read reviews and make a few phone calls to vets in your area.

You could also make a few phone calls to breeders in your area and ask if they have any recommendations.

Because the procedure has become so controversial, many veterinarians no longer perform it. Finding a reputable person to crop your dog's ears in your area may be difficult and take some time. Because your puppy is already around 10 weeks, judging by your other thread about nutrition, you'll be in a bit of a time crunch to find someone to do it before 12 weeks of age.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Pretty much exactly what Hiraeth said.

Though I know a lot that do as early as 6 weeks.

I know of a few as late as 6 months but those are always the ultra short battle style cuts.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Pretty much exactly what Hiraeth said.

Though I know a lot that do as early as 6 weeks.

I know of a few as late as 6 months but those are always the ultra short battle style cuts.
Ugh. Cropping a 6 month old puppy... I know it's a painful procedure under the best of circumstances, so I can't even imagine what they would have to go through during recovery at that age. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts