Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just discovered the wonderful (and cheap) world of homemade dog toys.

Is there anything you have used as a homemade dog toy that is great for keeping a dog entertained? It can be a chew toy, a play toy, a treat toy, or anything to keep a dog occupied.

Summer really enjoys chasing cardboard toilet rolls across the floor, and loves her crushed up water bottle.

But I got the idea to make a more than basic toy for my puppy when she found an empty 2L coke bottle on the floor and decided it was the most entertaining thing in the world. She just likes to chase it around the floor and sometimes picks it up and drags it arounds, which is so cute because she is smaller than the bottle!

I decided to make it more interesting by putting some beads in it, and now she goes absolutely crazy for the rattling sound it makes.

Btw, the bottle is tightly sealed so there are no chances of a bead coming out and becoming a swallowing hazard or the lid coming off and doing the same. Also, it is too big for her to get her jaws around at this size, so it is completely puncture proof. So I dont think safety is an issue.

I have also used a crushed up water bottle inside a sock and tied at the end.

Summer also has enjoyed playing with empty soft drink cans, but I don't think they are safe because of the potential for sharp edges. She isn't strong enough to crush it yet, but I'd rather be on the safe side. Can anyone think of a way I can make this safer or a safe alternative to use?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Get some 1" PVC pipe and a couple end caps. I made one about 12" length and one about 18". Drill a hole in the pipe, and enlarge it to where the dog food will fall out easily. I used a dremel with a sanding belt to enlarge the hole and smooth out the edges. The end caps fit tight enough no adhesive is needed.

I made one with the hole in the middle of the pipe. It took the ridgeback pup about 5 minutes to figure out nosing it along the ground and picking up the pieces, but the westie needed a couple weeks.

The other, I put the hole in the end cap. That one is a little harder cause the food supply drops to where they have to pick up one end, or just pick it up and throw it down. They seem to prefer those to the food sitting out in the bowl.

Tucker is happy with any random stick, but a branch with leaves is really special!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts