Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all ...
I've got a feeling that the responses for this one will be abundant.

I would like some ideas as to how to make my pup understand that the crate is his place to sleep.
at night when its time for everyone to sleep - he does not whine or resist at all.
he enters quietly / or hes put in and all is well. will sleep the whole night and only fuss in the morning since he needs to relieve himself (SUPER grateful for that BTW).
But during the day he wants to plop himself down on the living room rug or in the kitchen to take his naps.
ive been consistently using the "go inside" or "inside" prompt to make him understand that i want him to go there BUT he doesnt really want to. so he does gos in but reluctantly.
and if i turn around - he tries to come out after me to go take the nap elsewhere.
(i try to do this and have him stay with the gate open so as to try to not make him think he's being forced)

on a side not when my wife turns on the vacuum he high tailed into the cage so it makes me believe that he does feel that it provides him some kind of safety.

as always - i look forward to hearing your thoughts on this and greatly appreciate any feedback.
all the best guys
:)
P.S.
in case it matters at all this is the crate / cage that we're using. ...
Midwest 24x18x19 iCrate Double-Door Pet Crate w/ Divider Panel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ummm ...
i dont know. i guess im under the impression that the amount of freedom or control that he has should be controlled.
probably because of reading that ive done / videos that ive watched regarding the housebreaking process.
probably misunderstanding on my part in that i have to become a control freak.
which brings me to why im so appreciative of the forums here and the feedback from you more experienced pet owners. i feel like i will be learning a lot and doing away with these misconceptions.
so youre saying that its okay to let him be.
i was under the impression that when no one can supervise him or that when he wants to sleep that he should remain be in an area that is designated specifically for him.
these thoughts are also fueled from my EXTREME necessity to make sure that we are able to housebreak him successfully and the fear of him messing in the house.
Basically how successful we are in this area will determine weather or not problems will arise between us and the owners.
we only rent here and have been granted the privileged of bringing a pet into the home, granted that we are responsible and that he does not ruin the apartment.
and since in such a short time we've come to love him so much we really don't want there to be any problems.
he a great little pup and can tell that he will grow up to be a GREAT dog.
sorry for the long post.
[too much coffee]LOL!
thanks hamandeggs, for chiming in

·
Banned
241 Posts
ummm ...
i dont know. i guess im under the impression that the amount of freedom or control that he has should be controlled.
probably because of reading that ive done / videos that ive watched regarding the housebreaking process.
When mine were pups and still learning the pottytraining routine we used the crates a lot during the day.

Dogs prefer NOT to pee where they sleep.

At night time we would let the girls sleep with us but... We used a leash to tether them to us so that if one tried to sneak out of the bed and go pee we would notice... This worked and helped to speed up their 'housetraining' in my opinion. :wave:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would just crate train him. Leave food in the crate during the day for him to find. Have a stuffed kong with high value treats that he gets only when inside of the crate.

when you train him to go in, throw a treat in there and click/say "yes" when he goes in. then keep throwing treats for him staying in. Then you can pretend to throw the treat and award him once he goes in. Help him associate going in the crate/staying in with delicious treats. just keep rewarding him for staying in calmly and over time he will like sleeping in his crate.

that said, I don't think its necessary for your pup to nap in his crate, dogs sleep a lot, they don't have to be in the crate every time. But crate training is important for other reasons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL!
i love it - so much of this is common sense and being a little creative.
just new to it all so i have a lot of these little tricks to learn.
thanks for sharing DobermanGuy!
: )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just crate train him. Leave food in the crate during the day for him to find. Have a stuffed kong with high value treats that he gets only when inside of the crate.

when you train him to go in, throw a treat in there and click/say "yes" when he goes in. then keep throwing treats for him staying in. Then you can pretend to throw the treat and award him once he goes in. Help him associate going in the crate/staying in with delicious treats. just keep rewarding him for staying in calmly and over time he will like sleeping in his crate.

that said, I don't think its necessary for your pup to nap in his crate, dogs sleep a lot, they don't have to be in the crate every time. But crate training is important for other reasons.
hi zdonBGSU!
thanks for the feedback ....
you brought a whole other element / approach. will keep the treats coming when he's in there.
Thanks!
: )

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yep, try to find a treat that will take him a little while - maybe 15 mins. Try to reserve that treat especially for crate time. I've read that the act of licking something continuously for several minutes can make a dog sleepy. By giving a treat, you're providing a reward for going in the crate and a pacifier to prompt the dog to take a nap. Frozen stuffed kongs make nice crate toys, or if that's too easy for him, there are similar (but more difficult toys) on the market.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GottaLuvMutts,:wave:
hi again! ...
more great ideas!
thanks all - keep'em coming!
thanks!!

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
If you do let the puppy nap on the rug you will have to keep a close eye on him as when he wakes, he will probably want to pee. When I have had puppies in the house, I usually have them gated into different rooms so I can keep a close eye on them, I never give them free roam of the house. I only crate them during the day if I am going out somewhere or doing something where I cannot watch them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been meaning to sign on - but life happens!
LOL!
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great feedback that I've gotten anytime i had a question and to give a quick update about how great my little guy has been doing! : )
He's 5 1/2 months now and seems to have the potty / house-training mastered ?!?!?! : )
no accidents - and has been left alone and free to roam a designated area (not the whole entire house yet) and has done great. so happy and just wanted to share and post a pic.
all the best gang!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts