Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon, I was getting ready for work, and my 8 year old son and the two dogs were out in the yard playing fetch. We live out in the country and it isn't unusual to see all kinds of wildlife out here. We have lots of rattlesnakes, bob cats, deer, mountain lions, etc. and of course we do have skunks from time to time.

Anyway, the boys are outside playing and all of a sudden I hear a blood curdling scream from my son. I look out and there is a skunk, charging my son. Both dogs are running a hundred miles an hour thru the yard - nice guard dogs huh? Without even thinking, I ran outside and got between the skunk and my son and managed to chase it off by throwing rocks at it.

Its really scary because I'm pretty sure that thing is rabid. For one thing, skunks are not usually out in the daytime. I've never seen a skunk actually "charge" anyone. And, this skunk was acting all spastic and looked like it had just been dumped in the creek. I contacted our sheriffs office and game and parks and they are heading out to try and find it. Just a couple weeks ago, a neighbor to the north of me shot and killed a sick skunk that tested positive for rabies. Sure am glad that I keep the dogs current on their shots....

My son and both dogs were sprayed, but otherwise not hurt, along with the entire front of my house and my pickup.

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of skunk smell? I plan on getting some tomato juice for the dogs and giving them baths. My sons clothes have been bagged and are going into the dumpster. ( I don't think they can be saved) My house and my pickup just reek... not sure how to deal with that. I'm gonna try my Natures Miracle and spray that all over and see how it works on skunk smell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Geez, glad to hear you and the dogs and your son are alright. That does sound like pretty bizarre behaviour for a skunk. Unfortunately tomato juice is the only thing I've heard of to kill the smell. Some friends of mine had a run in with a skunk, their boxer Toby chased one under the porch and got sprayed directly in the mouth. They tried to feed him some sofa water to calm his belly and he barfed up skunk stank vomit it was the most disgusting thing. Poor guy had to head to the vet to make sure he wasn't poisoned by it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
No experience, but I've heard this is one of the better remedies

1 bottle Hydrogen peroxide, 2 tsp dish soap, and 1/4 cup baking soda diluted in water (you don't have to dilute)
- DO NOT get it in this stuff in the eyes, Hydr Perox can cause some serious eye damage

Pert Plus Shampoo

I do keep Skunk Off in my pantry for the day I finally get skunked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'm willing to try anything. My moms dog tangles with skunks often but is primarily an outside dog, so they just let "the wind blow the stink off." However my dogs are kept inside (so is my son) so I gotta try something.

I just got done googling it, and there is mention of using vinegar instead of hydrogen peroxide. I think I'm gonna try that first. I have a feeling that my pretty golden isn't gonna be golden anymore... he's either gonna be bleached out from peroxide or tomato juice pink!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just gave the dogs their last bath for now.

I've tried: tomato juice, peroxide/baking soda/dawn dish soap, Pert shampoo, Natural Way Enzyme Dog shampoo/conditioner, and regular oatmeal dog shampoo. My border collie-X, Tee, smells pretty decent but my golden, Dug, still stinks.

The Natures Miracle has completely gotten rid of the smell in the house. I sprayed the crate blankets with it and have them hanging up outside and I'll run them thru the washing machine later.

My son was able to get the smell off of him after several baths, but I tossed his clothes (including his new tennis shoes, that he wasn't supposed to be wearing outside anyway...lol) I'm just glad everyone is ok and didn't get bitten.

No luck finding the skunk yet. I've been told to shoot it if it turns back up but to not damage the head because they need that to test it for rabies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
As far as the clothes, you might try strong bleach, then use them as play clothes... Ditto for just leaving them on a clothes line in the sun for a week. May still be OK for playing outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just gave Dug his final bath in peroxide/baking soda/dawn dish soap. I also used a sponge/brush for dogs so that I could really get it worked deep into Dugs fur. And happy to say, "No more skunk smell! Yaayyy!!"

We got some snow last night, and even after the dogs got done playing in the snow this morning all we have is wet-dog smell!

I also gave them each a minty large dental bone, and that seems to have done the trick for their skunk- breath!

Thanks everyone!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Wow, how scary! No doubt that skunk was rabid as being out in the daytime and being that aggressive it not normal behavior. I'm glad the skunk didn't bite your son, you or a dog!

I use Dawn dish soap to deskunk pets, as it is a pretty good grease/oil cutter. It might take a few shampoos. Then I use a moisturizing/gentle dog shampoo/conditioner and put fish oil in their dinners (the get this anyway), as the Dawn is drying to their coat and skin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
What a scary encounter!!!!!! Skunk definitely sounds sick to me. :(

We had a run-in with Pepe la Pew in August and both of my guys got sprayed. The baking soda/peroxide/dawn worked well, but unfortunately every time my dogs get wet, a faint skunky smell comes back. It's been seven months now, and it's almost gone... thank God!!!!

Jen
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top