Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The part marked E,

he seems to have cut it somehow and its a decent size cut.

i have talked to the vet and they told me to keep it clean and keep it wrapped
so its wrapped.

Any other advice from you guys? has anyone`s dog done this?

He still runs around, unless i wrap it, and jumps and is happy, it does give him some trouble though because he`ll just out of nowhere lay down and start licking it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Penny scraped hers pretty badly once. Hehe, I don't even know what that part is called :p . Anyway, it won't heal if he keeps licking it, so keep it wrapped so he can't get to it. If he bites the wrapping off, you might have to get him a cone collar.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh we`ve had it wrapped pretty good now

and have put some colloidal silver on it.

so , hopefully it gets better
ever since its been wrapped good hes been so depressed looking ehe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our dog tore areas A, B, C, D almost completely off one time. She was swimming in our pool all day, then afterwards went out front and was playing with the neighborhood kids and dogs in the street. Needless to say, the pads of her feet were very soft from swimming/chlorine and they became all torn up.

We just cleaned them with peroxide and wrapped her up with gauze and neosporin. After a week, her feet showed significant improvement, and after 2 weeks she was back to normal.

I'm not sure that treating a deep laceration would be the same, but I'm really not sure that there is much else that you could do other than wrapping it up.

The part marked E,

he seems to have cut it somehow and its a decent size cut.

i have talked to the vet and they told me to keep it clean and keep it wrapped
so its wrapped.

Any other advice from you guys? has anyone`s dog done this?

He still runs around, unless i wrap it, and jumps and is happy, it does give him some trouble though because he`ll just out of nowhere lay down and start licking it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our dog tore areas A, B, C, D almost completely off one time. She was swimming in our pool all day, then afterwards went out front and was playing with the neighborhood kids and dogs in the street. Needless to say, the pads of her feet were very soft from swimming/chlorine and they became all torn up.

We just cleaned them with peroxide and wrapped her up with gauze and neosporin. After a week, her feet showed significant improvement, and after 2 weeks she was back to normal.

I'm not sure that treating a deep laceration would be the same, but I'm really not sure that there is much else that you could do other than wrapping it up.
yes we have been cleaning it and wrapping it, its been getting a lot better now and its closing back up,

we were putting colloidal silver on it but our grandparents back home ( bosnia lots of farm animals get cuts) told us to put, idk what its called but its a thick lubricant that people use to lubricate moving parts on cars and like bike chains. =/..

and he showed awesome improvement within two days..so..its getting better and is almost all closed up, definately is dry. just looks kind of ugly now

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
we were putting colloidal silver on it but our grandparents back home ( bosnia lots of farm animals get cuts) told us to put, idk what its called but its a thick lubricant that people use to lubricate moving parts on cars and like bike chains. =/..
Petroleum Jelly, maybe? Vaseline? Yep, it works for this kind of thing. You can also get a mildly medicated form called Bag Balm at farm/pet stores, and it works even better. Glad to hear he's healing up!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is the consistency of vaseline, it probably is petroleum jelly
hes been running around the last few days like it doesnt even hurt him, every once in a while it seems to itch, but hes definately heeling up

i asked my mechanic friends what they call the stuff and they just told me grease..

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on it that is used on a car unless my vet told me. My dogs in the past have cut their pads and I just put some triple antibiotic cream on it, wrapped it with a bit of gauze and some vet wrap. It does take awhile to heel. For really hard to heel cuts in the pads you can usually have the vet laser them and they heel right away.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dog Casey managed to cut the "C" part on her foot twice last summer. After checking around the outside of our house (we were new there renting with roommates), I found a pile of broken glass under our bedroom window where she would tell us she wanted back inside.

It was deep and I was pretty worried. I had treated a deep cut on her leg when she was a puppy, but she had been on an antibiotic for a uti that would cover any infection possibilities. Of course, my vet says "let's check it!" cause they're required to. Turns out I didn't need to see him at all, and I delt with the second cut on the same pad 2 days later on my own.

Unlike people's skin, you actually want the pads to scar and toughen up. If you treat with a moisturizing agent, you will have to wait for the skin to toughen up on it's own before you can do anything rough with them like hiking, running, heavy walks on pavement, etc. This is because the entire pad would be at risk for being damages again.

Instead, I would first keep the area clean and dry until the bleeding stops. Then I would apply something somewhat drying. Alcohol is a bit rough of an experience for dogs, but everyone has it. I used a product called "Tuff Foot" which is made for dogs, horses, and even people. Found in feedstores, there might be a similar product for athletes in a sport's store. It has a benzoine basis, so it smells like turpentine. a small amount applied 1-2 times a day should toughen up the cut and protect it as it heals. Casey's healed up in about 10 days. She only winced a bit on the first two as the outer part of the cut was still moist and sensitive.

Warning: some people are topically allergic to benzoine. If you know this, or aren't sure, do a small spot test or just wear latex/nitrile gloves while applying a product like Tuff Foot.

Hope that helps. Oh, and don't forget to check for household hazards.
-Christina

1 - 9 of 9 Posts