Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when we first got our pup, he had a bad habit of jumping up on the counter and eating foods we left there. I have found many a shredded butter wrapper upon returning to the kitchen. but the craziest thing?

i occasionally like to make salsa. once, after making salsa, i had left the veins and seeds of a few serrano chiles on my cutting board and left the room for a moment. i came back to clean up my mess, and i discovered that the cutting board was on the floor with chile seeds scattered about. not far away, there he was, licking his lips furiously. :flame:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now he doesn't get into anything.. well, other than open waste baskets when i leave the house (if i have forgotten to cover them), and even that is rare.. but when he was under one year (and he's a big boy, so counters are no problem), there was almost nothing too sacred for him to eat up. believe me, there were too many shoes, books, chairs, and little else he would feel compelled to feel around inside his jaws.. luckily the days of removing objects from his mouth have ceased, but then... the chile pepper was one of the more satisfying "ah haaah!" moments of his crazy "eating" phase.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
So my dog ate half a container of gummy fiber supplements once, and I had to go to work immediately after.

They went right through her and produced clear, sticky diarrhea with a fruity smell. My whole laundry room was covered. Worst thing I have ever come home to.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my dog ate half a container of gummy fiber supplements once, and I had to go to work immediately after.

They went right through her and produced clear, sticky diarrhea with a fruity smell. My whole laundry room was covered. Worst thing I have ever come home to.
at least it was conveniently near the laundry? aww diarrhea sucks for anyone and everyone involved.. dog or me.. err humans...:redface:

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Nah... I had to mop like five times and the floor is still sticky. Not convenient. LOL Though I rather that than all over the house for sure.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Denali as a puppy grabbed a wad of something at the park and gulped it down before I could stop her. It looked like a wad of paper napkins so I wasn't too worried but knew to keep an eye on her. Two days went by without event. On the third morning I heard urka gurka sounds coming from her crate and as I sat up in bed to look I saw a big slimy bile-covered something slide out of her mouth. Lovely. I immediately thought to plop it in the sink and rinse it off to make sure that whatever it was, all of it came up and not just part of it. It turned out to by a semi-stretchy cloth, about a 9" square. Like a cloth used for cleaning eyeglasses. The whole thing was there!

She also ate a little orange foam earplug. She squealed when it came out the other end, poor girl!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I got my first puppy when I was about 27yrs old, I was completely clueless, didn't use a crate. Our then puppy, Sparky, ate a variety of things: knee hi hose (which we had to pull out his butt), crayons, brillo pad and the worst, our wedding album. Fast forward many years when we were celebrating our 25th, my sister did her best to re-do our wedding album with what pictures she found from our parents album (our photographer had a fire in his studio so by the time we had money to have the pictures made again, the negatives were burned). The last picture was of Sparky, in a doghouse (photoshopped) and the page says "In the Dog House Productions".

·
Registered
591 Posts
the worst was when Lucifer ate my cell phone, TG he didnt swallow the battery !!! A couple years ago I met Sarah Palin and she was handing out hotdogs at the rally I was at, I had her sign my napkin then stuffed it in my coat pocket. Later I emptied my pockets at home and Sophie ATE the napkin , after all it did smell like a hotdog!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Muggsy: The rubber baseboard in the kitchen. All of it. Vet visit #1 in one month: $400 A teddy bear, whole, with wrapping paper and a bow. (some child somewhere was very disappointed that day.) Vet visit #2 in one month: $800.

Kabota: (He hasn't actually gotten to swallow these things, but he did try) Cigarette butts, rocks, hair band, plastic baggie, toothbrush.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
The worst Jubel has eaten would be a packet of uncooked rice. It was dumped in our kitchen on an open shelving unit by my parents from their pantry when they moved. One of those envelopes with some seasoning in it. This was right around the time Jubel figured out that everything on that open shelving unit was food even if it didn't smell like food. Before we ordered gates to keep him out of the kitchen (less than a month after the rice incident) he removed and ate a few apple sauce cups and started in on a box of pastaroni. The uncooked rice was certainly the worst though. Thankfully I didn't have to see the first wave of that on it's way out though it was still a sight to see on the second wave when I took him out after work the following day... and then multiple times again through out that night. Even more grateful that other than vacuuming up the last bits of uncooked rice there was no more cleanup involved inside the house.

The worst thing he's eaten for his safety would be the corn cob he got a couple months ago. I knew he had gotten into something over by the picnic area at the park but wasn't sure what. The following morning he woke up at 6:15am and starts making sounds like he's going to throw up but nothing comes out. Strange but I shrug it off. Same thing happens the next morning again at 6:15am with nothing coming up. I decide we might need to make a vet visit later in the day. 6:40am he's at it again with the up-chuck sounds and this time he successfully brings up the corn cob along with a pool of bile and stomach acid in my bed. I quickly snatched up the corn cob before he could swallow it again (quick possible from him haha) and set about stripping my bed and throwing the mess in the laundry before heading off to work. Very lucky that corn cob didn't attempt to make it's way out through the intestines because I'm pretty sure it would have gotten stuck and cost me a small fortune. In the close to 48 hours it spent in Jubel's stomach he continued to eat, drink, poop, and pee regularly.

As for swallowing things I have to assist him on it's final exit that happens a bit too often as well. Usually it's from him swallowing some of my long hair, sometimes from him eating long grass, sometimes from eating sticks he didn't chew that well (big chunks), most recently he apparently ate a paper towel. I was out of town myself visiting my parents and when I took him out for a walk the day I returned he pooped and had about 2-3' of something hanging from his butt and not making progress. So I go to help him out before he starts trying to drag his butt on the ground and making a big old mess of himself. Very gently pull and here comes about 12' of what I'm almost positive was a paper towel. My brother still insists he doesn't know HOW he got it...sure.

Ahhh the joys of a hound.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Troubles has never eaten anything other than the cat's food.
Diesel did bring home a deer leg once, no idea where it came from, but I guess that's not that strange.
Aleu however, I have seen this dog eat thing that I still don't know what they could've been. The worst thing, when she was little and I allowed her offleash, was something thick, black and shiny, and huge. I have no idea what it was. It was gone before I could get there, then she bolted off proud as possible. Yeah, congrats you little brat. Glad it didn't do any damage whatever it was.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
So far: Goose poop. We took Hamilton to the beach and he was like "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THIS PLACE HAD SNACKS!!" *sigh* It's hard steering around goose poop on the beach with a pup on a 15 ft lead.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A friend of ours come over to swim and had brought a package of chocolate, chocolate chip cookies. He set it on our back porch and forgot to tell us. Called to tell us about the cookies on his way home. Too late the dog had eaten the entire package! Thankfully this was a 60lb. lab mix, so other than some nasty diarrhea she was just fine.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Diesel did bring home a deer leg once, no idea where it came from, but I guess that's not that strange.
When I was a kid we had a neighbor who left fish heads in their yard all the time and the cats and dogs would bring those nasty things back to our yard and save them for later.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
When I was a kid we had a neighbor who left fish heads in their yard all the time and the cats and dogs would bring those nasty things back to our yard and save them for later.
Most of my neighbors do this too .-. Taking a quiet walk on the river bank is nearly impossible without gagging or being chased by flies.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
When Sydney was a young puppy my dad stopped to drop her off after going to the vet. Apparently it was quicker to just leash her to he banister than to put her in her crate. He came home to find all the corners of the banister chewed off. She's never ever done anything else like that. It was definitely a teething issue.

As an adult I once saw her chew an enormous piece of fleece off of a fleece rope and immediately swallow it. I swear you could almost hear the gulp, it was so huge. She ended up passing it just fine, but we no longer give her toys made from that really thin fleece material. It's way to easy to tear pieces off.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Years ago..
My Girlfriend had a dog that ate a Musical Christmas Card and some tinsle off the Christmas tree..
Being concerned about the dog being able to pass these items, I followed the dog into the backyard in the wintery snow.

Eventually..The dog pooped out the Musical Christmas Card device ..it was playing "Jingle Bells" .
and with the tinsle hanging out of her hiney and poops attached and musical device playing jingel bells..
She ran like one of Santas Reindeer across the backyard ..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Juicy is all of EIGHT pounds and she is like a vacuum cleaner....We have to watch her 24/7 she will try to eat everything! sticks, rocks, grass, small toys....EVERYTHING!! She chews open beds and tries to eat the stuffing and if she has the opportunity she will even try to eat her (or our) blankets :/ I had no clue that small dogs tried to eat everything, thought that was only big dogs. I have to constantly take things from her mouth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Years ago..
My Girlfriend had a dog that ate a Musical Christmas Card and some tinsle off the Christmas tree..
Being concerned about the dog being able to pass these items, I followed the dog into the backyard in the wintery snow.

Eventually..The dog pooped out the Musical Christmas Card device ..it was playing "Jingle Bells" .
and with the tinsle hanging out of her hiney and poops attached and musical device playing jingel bells..
She ran like one of Santas Reindeer across the backyard ..
LOL Thank God she passed it okay! That is hilarious though!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts