Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I adopted a 7 month old Doberman pup. I was working a job 10 mins from home and easy to come home to potty often. I was not expecting to get a better job offer 2 days later. The new job will have me away 6-8 hours. I know that he'll use it by then. Wondering what the best option is. Continue as normal and use potty pads? Or move kennel to a small room that i can leave open so he can use not in his crate during the day? Something else? He goes every 3 hours or so at night.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Most healthy 7 month old dogs can sleep through the night for 7-8 hours without needing to pee. It may be that he has not yet learned the concept of "holding it" which is also part of house training (pee outside, wait to pee both)

Most, not all, will also be OK for 6-8 hours during a work day in a crate. Possibly see if you can have someone stop by halfway through the day for the first week just to help the adjustment.

If a 7 month old cannot go more than around 2 hours without peeing then I would suggest a vet check to rule out any urinary tract infections

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's never had to hold it, as he's been in a shelter since he was weaned from mom. So it's new to him. 4 hours is the longest I've been able to leave and come home to no mess so far.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Ok, so its more a case of not knowing he has to wait rather than being unable to wait.

I work full time and when I foster, its a matter of practicality and need that the foster is crated while I am gone. I introduce them to a crate so they are not stressed by it, I leave no bedding if they might chew or only a fleece blanket (safer than a towel because it will not shred into dangerous long strings and not as fun to tear apart as a fluffy bed) and when I get home I rush the dog outside quickly but with no excitement or words. Just out of the door.

I have had very good success with this and most have maybe 1-3 accidents in the crate at most before being able to nap their day away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. He's taking to the crate much better, and holding it well while in the crate. And since Saturday has been sleeping 6 or so hours at night easily. However, still not much progress on signaling to go out when he's not in the kennel, but we're getting there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts