Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I adopted Henry, a 6 month old Border Collie/Collie mix a few weeks ago. He is crated at night, when we are not home, and on the rare occasion that I need to do something around the house without him under foot. At a friend's suggestion, we have started feeding him in his crate or at the very least in the room where his crate is. At first he was hesitant to go upstairs (where his crate is kept) to eat, but he is doing much better with that. The struggle is, he is still hesitant to go upstairs at night when he knows he is going to his crate for the night. We have tried luring him up the stairs with a treat, throwing a treat or toy in the crate for him to follow, etc. This doesn't work anymore because he's figured it out. :doh: Presently, we are carrying him half way up the stairs (at 40 lbs this can't last) and putting him on my lap, then physically placing him in his crate. Once in there, whether in the middle of the day or at night, he doesn't cry or act anxious or stressed. It is only getting him in there that is the problem. We are starting obedience school in 3 weeks, but would like some relief between now and then. Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
471 Posts
For any crate issue (and well, anyone really, crate issues or not,) I recommend Susan Garrett's Crate Games. A Google search should find you any information you need on that. My Bear went from hating his crate to wanting to hang out inside of his own free will within two sessions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts