Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here, but glad to have found this forum.

I recently began working for a breeder who seemed reputable and responsible. They do take care of their dogs and make sure they're healthy. My only problems is how long they crate most of their adult dogs. They keep, I'd say, 20 or so adults stacked on top of each other 2 high in crates for most of the day.

They are definitely let out to go to the rest room. As far as I can tell, they are let out for maybe a few hours each day, but I think I could safely estimate that the dogs aren't out of their crates for more than 2-3 hours a day.

It's hard to see, but I don't crate my dogs at all so I don't know what's normal. This definitely isn't normal, right?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
No, not normal...even if they were crated for an 8-10 hour work day and another 8 hours at night (still too much for normal adult dogs in my opinion), they should still be out 6-8 hours per day.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Are the dogs ONLY for breeding? Do they ever do anything with the dogs (dog sports, showing, etc.)? How many times do they breed a female?

No, I think that amount of crating is too much. It sounds like they only have the dogs for breeding and no other reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is a HUGE breeding facility. They sell dogs that come trained as well. I once read that a good breeder treated the puppies like their own dogs and didn't actually plan a pregnancy until there was enough interest to immediately have a home for each one. There are too many dogs on that property

They have probably 30-40 puppies right now between birth and a couple months old. Like I said, it's not a dirty place, they are trained well behaved dogs, they are fed good food and provided with vet care.. but yeah they are just used for breeding. I'm not sure how often the girls are bred, I've only been there 2 weeks.

It makes me uncomfortable to the point that I'd like to quit, but I don't have anything to fall back on. I guess the best thing I can do is keep it until I find something else.

edited to add: I missed this question the first time around but they do SOME shows, but that's it really.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
*shrugs* There's a breeder in my breed that is very reputable, and has a lot of nice, top winning dogs, but they are a very large operation. Too big for some people's taste, but everything is well taken care of and they also run a pro handling buiness.

Does your breeder have a website?

Mine sometimes stay crated a whole bunch, so that doesn't bother me. I also don't have much of a waiting list, but I easily find homes for my puppies.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'd have a huge problem working there, as it sounds like a mill to me.

As far as crating, my guys are rarely crated during the day. They sleep in their crates at night, and go in about 11pm, and out around 6:30am.

I'm home with them during the day, and they are out at all times. When I leave to go to work, my mom is just getting home from work, and they are out with her.

If we go somewhere, they are crated, but never more than 1-2 hours a day. Rarely 4-5 hours if we're out of town for a few hours. But that's not often at all. I really don't like crating my dogs more than I have to, as it's really not fair to them. They love being out with the family, and crave interaction with us. They also love playing out on our property (supervised) for hours. I'm usually out there interacting with them, playing fetch, frisbee, swimming, training, ect.

So I think being crated as much as that breeder is crating is entirely too much. The dogs sound like they aren't getting much interaction at all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've seen a breeder for toy breeds have a very large room full of about 20-40 dogs. I worked in the next room as a groomer. They were all kept about 2-4 dogs per fenced in area. There they pooped ate and had puppies. It was a very clean place with full time staff and they seemed well taken care of except it was very obvious they were not house trained and only used for breeding selling and showing. They were very expensive purebred puppies. I groomed while listening to them all bark all day. I quit a month later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts