Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have put our puppy in the crate at night by the bed....is it bad to sit next to the crate...(without talking to him) until he falls asleep....seems when he whines....if we go sit next to him....he'll go right to sleep...if this good or bad?....

any info to combat the whining...?

i read if he gets bad to put on the other end of the house....but then you wont know when the pup has to go out at night....BUT we still have to get some sleep too...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
165 Posts
You're really not supposed to pay it any attention when it is put in the crate. If it is the time you want to go to bed, your pup has to get used to it. When you go over to him, you're giving into him and you have to discipline him. The first night I had my puppy home (after giving in a couple times of course, he's too adorable) I ignored his whimpering because I knew he didn't have to go out. He got the hint, and he only whines when he needs to go out now.
I've been told it's not good to have them right by you, but if they are within earshot that's fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what if you put him in the crate and just sit there until he goes to sleep...where he doesnt whine because ur right there already....

if he whines...are you NOT suppose to say or do anything....not even like...."SHHHHH...its time to go to bed".....

·
Registered
165 Posts
what if you put him in the crate and just sit there until he goes to sleep...where he doesnt whine because ur right there already....

if he whines...are you NOT suppose to say or do anything....not even like...."SHHHHH...its time to go to bed".....
Well, I think that's giving in before he even has the chance to whine. With some dogs, you have to show them that you are the leader and they follow you, not the other way around. If you treat the dog like that, they could have some serious behavioral problems in the long run.

If it works when you say 'No', then I don't see anything wrong with it. When I told my puppy no, he continued to whine and jump around. Ignoring him worked for me. All dogs are different, but you need to find a way where he learns who's in charge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok...we will try that...

what is the whining gets to be too much...will the dog get tired of whining?

havent had to raise a puppy in a LONG time...trying to do things right...

he is 8 weeks old....he is getting up about every 2-3 hours...

·
Registered
165 Posts
ok...we will try that...

what is the whining gets to be too much...will the dog get tired of whining?

havent had to raise a puppy in a LONG time...trying to do things right...
I've never raised a pup before, but I love the responsibility... In all honesty, I googled what to do! xD But it worked for him. I don't know if the pup gets tired of whining, maybe he just figures out he's not going to get his way and decides to settle down. If only housebreaking were as easy as getting him to be quiet at night!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I personally have always kept the crate of my puppies by the bed at night, when he whines (just to whine this doesn't apply to potty breaks) I will reassure him that I'm there by shushing him and saying a few quiet words to him. Sometimes I stick my fingers in there for comfort. You want the crate to be a safe, secure and happy place for them, not a scary, lonely place. When they are young I have a travel crate that he sleeps in that I can move to the bedroom at night and move to the main room during the day. I keep the crate open during the day so my puppy can go in there at any time. When I see him in there I re-enforce with a small treat. Puppies play hard then crash hard, before he goes to bed I try to run him around and play with him for about thirty minutes before bed. All puppies are different but a routine is always best try to find something that works for you and STICK to it. Our routine is once he is in his crate for the night and the lights go out we talk to each other for a couple of minutes then go to sleep Yaz will cry for a couple of minutes then groan a little then pass out. Then like clock work is up every three hours to urinate. (Yaz is now 9 wks old) Crates are great once they get used to them, they keep your puppy safe and your home safe from un wanted chewing and being used as a toilet. Good Luck!!! Oh and never ever ever put him in his crate when he knows your mad at him, and never ever to punish him!!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have used ear plugs! I know of a few people that have put one of those warm water bottles in with the pup which has helped. Also if you have one of the alarm clocks that tick loud enough for the pup to hear it it may help him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have the crate in the bedroom but it is about 10 feet from the bed....should we move it right next to the bed?....what about putting a blanket over the crate....?

i put in a t shirt i had worn in there last night....not sure if that helped...but

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Your T shirt is a good idea and I would try covering it. I would also move it closer to the bed, that is where I had my pup and after a few nights I was able to sleep you just can't give up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts