Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

We have an 8 week old lab x collie called Percy (he's been home for 3 days - we're on day 4) and there are a few points with his training/housebreaking that I'd really appreciate your comments on to make sure we're doing it all correctly - I'm a bit worried about getting it wrong!

I really appreciate you're taking the time to read this :)

He's quite quick, already he can 'sit' and 'drop'. I work from home so am here to take him out every hour, (unless he's asleep), we (my husband and I) now always say 'Outside' whether it's because he looks like he needs a wee/poo or its a scheduled toilet break. We then get him to the same place on the grass and say 'Toilet' until he goes, then give him a fuss. It's working fantastically, a few times he hasn't needed to go, fair enough, but also sometimes just a little bit of wee comes out so he knows what we want when we say 'Toilet' and he's occasionally walking to the door now when he needs to go ... is that good for 8 weeks and 3 days home?

We had some problem at first because the weather has been so nice, the first 2 days we spent outside playing and chilling, however he came in the house to pee and wouldn't do it outside (I presume he thought outside was his home) so now playtime is inside with calmer outdoor exploration.

The main issue we have is at night. We have a crate for Percy and at first we left enough room in there for newspaper and a water bowl. However he would pee on the paper and throw the water everywhere (we learn from our mistakes!). For the first 2 nights this was his set-up and he cried for 10mins the first night, then 2 or 3 mins the second. Last night we decided it wasn't going to work like this so we shrunk the crate a little (using a divider) and just left room for his bed, no water. This time I would go down and let him out at 1.30am (bedtime is approx. 10pm-5.30am) I went down at 1.30am and he had a big wee which is great, no wet bed, but when I popped him back in to sleep he cried for about 10mins. He then woke me at 4.30am (I sent my husband this time!!) he had another wee and a drink of water and again wouldn't easily settle, about 15-20mins of crying this time. Then at 5.20am he started-up, but as it was almost time to get up my husband got sorted for work, waited for him to stop crying and then went down stairs to let him out.

Tonight I will get up again at 1.30am (as this seemed a good time and there was no prior crying) and then at 4.00am or 3.30am (?) I want to catch the wee before he starts crying so that he doesn't associate the crying with being let out. Then once there's no more crying for the loo I plan to start pushing the times by an hour or half an hour, so 1.00am and 4.30am ... does that sound right?

Given the amount of crying last night after being put back in after a toliet trip I'm concerned that Percy will start to cry more and more. I don't need anymore crying, it's heartbreaking, gut-wrenching, I have to defy every once of my being not to go down and comfort him. The crying is 100% the worse bit, and I know he's only doing it in 10min stints when he's been disturbed or needs a wee so that's not bad, in fact it's probably quite good (?) I think I'm just a bit freaked out that he'll do it more and more ??

Does this sound ok to you? Would you do anything differently? Is there a better way to deal with night time toilets?
We try to calmly take him to the loo in the middle of the night, no fuss, no play, just 'Outside', 'Toilet', 'Good boy'

Also, when he falls asleep in the day I put him in his crate to get him used to it being a safe sleep area. Should I close the door? At the moment I keep it open, if I close it I'm worried that I'll have to open it when he's crying and jumping about, my work desk is right by his crate and he can see me. He usually falls asleep at my feet. Would it be a good idea to close it and promote being closed in the crate at sleepy times?

Thanks for listening! :)

Kate, Gareth, Percy & Toby - the cat (that's another mission in itself!)

·
Registered
291 Posts
You will have accidents from time to time as the bladder control develops but you are going in the right direction. Peak times to be more aware is when he wakes up and after eating.
AS for crying, all our pups have been in a crate virtually since they were born and if we have kept one of a litter, the crate is placed next to our bed so that if the pup wakes up you can drop a hand in and he will quiten down again. This has only been needed for a maximum of a week. The pup was walked outside if it woke up and then crated with a hand hanging down to comfort it. Usually went back to sleep very fast like this.
WIth the crate in the day, you are ok to leave the crate open and you can encourage him to like it more by feeding him in the crat. IIn the day, every now and again throw in some high value treats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Do you think we should try moving the crate into our room now? Or stick with the kitchen as this is what we began with?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
It sounds like you are definitely on the right track!
I would recommend moving the crate into your room. Your puppy is very young, in a new place, with new smells, sound, sights, people. So, it is very scary. Sometimes a puppy will be easier on the first few nights as they are usually so exhausted and nervous, but, as they get a bit accustomed to their surroundings, they let their true feelings out! :)

Having the crate in your room can be a big help, as sometimes just being able to see you, hear you breath, or smell you can be very comforting.

As for pottying, many puppies need 1-3 trips outside during the night, simply because they don't have the control necessary. HOWEVER, that should get better in the next few weeks. So, for a few nights, stick with the 2-3 trips, but, gradually, try to limit it to 1-2 trips, then one, etc.
When you do have to take him out, make it a fuss-free outing. No talking, playing, cuddling, or fussing, it should be all business.
And, no drinks of water.

You can actually try to limit the water in the evening, to help with control over night. Evening is the only time I'd limit water, though!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, move the crate to next to your bed. As I said, it will only take a short time until the pup settles down. If you have the opportunity, set up a second crate in the kitchen so that he can use that durring the day. Feed him his meals in the crate so that a crate becomes a good place to be.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You and your pup are doing great!!!! The only things I would add are the following as this is the way we did it with our puppy that we got this December. The first three nights we had our puppy I woke up about 1 AM to take her outside to potty. All went well but I had trouble getting back to sleep. The fourth night I decided to just let her sleep until she woke me up...................well she didn't wake me up until 7 AM!!!! It has been that way since....actually she will sleep and be quiet until I wake her up. My point is.....maybe you should let your pup tell you when it needs to go out. They will rarely mess in their sleeping quarters. Also, limit the fluids...stop giving the pup water at about 8 PM. Only one time did she make a fuss in her crate...whining non-stop. Never could figure out why but we finally moved her that night into a room away from us. After that it never happened again. I guess she decided she liked sleeping in our room better and she needed to be quiet in order to do that! Good luck and hang in there. Sounds to me like you have a very good and smart puppy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track!

I wouldn't recommend moving the crate into your room. It will only make it harder for you to ignore the crying, and of course responding is rewarding the behavior. It's natural for puppies to whimper at that age - they're away from their mother and litter for the first time, and it takes some getting used to. To help him through, try a warm water bottle covered in an old t-shirt of yours. The warm water bottle will replicate snuggling with his littermates and mom, and the smell of you on the shirt will be comforting.

As for the water, have you tried a bottle with spout? Even when I was crate training my puppy, I *never* left her without water. A water bottle with spout (like the ones on hamster cages) could be the perfect solution. It allows him to stay hydrated without giving him a chance to spill.

Hope that helps... have fun with your puppy!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a rescue puppy currently that is about 9 weeks old. She was great the first night and has gradually got worse. I think she is pushing her boundaries. She has yet to go in her crate so I don't get up when she cries. She was left for almost 11 hours by herself yesterday due to an interstate being shut down. I got home and her crate was dry.

I cover the crate with a blanket and leave a radio or tv on in the room. That has helped with other puppies in the past and seems to be working as well now.

·
Registered
88 Posts
well i know with my pup she would cry a little after i put her back in the crate. and then would settled down. but she is in my room and i would wake her up and let her out just before i went to bed so she could sleep a bit longer and then wake up when she started to cry.. My pup has a stuffy in the crate to cuddle while she sleeps. Right now she is going on 16weeks and by 10 or 11pm she wants to go in her crate to sleep. she has slept out side the crate with no accidents.

also moving the crate into your room can help your pup not cry but then again it may not change. but putting a blanket over the crate can help keep it dark and help him feel safe.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
First off, it sounds like you have a FABULOUS puppy! Congrats!!

I keep our adult dogs in our room at night. Our new rescue, Maddie, sleeps in a crate against the wall where she can see me. Potsie, whom we've had for a couple of years, sleeps uncrated in our room, either under the bed or on his bed. Dogs are pack animals and they like being near their peeps! Withhold water about an hour before bed, and no water in the crate at night. There's no need for it, if the dog is supposedly sleeping anyway, right? You're doing the right thing to keep the crate small right now. Most dogs will not soil their "den".

I agree with the above poster to let the puppy wake you up to go potty in the middle of the night. If you take him out on a schedule, he'll learn to wake up in the middle of the night on a regular basis. Just be prepared to get him outside ASAP when he wakes up. There's not much time between "I gotta go!" and "Oops, I'm going....".

I have another slightly larger crate in the living room where we crate Maddie when we go out, to avoid having to move the crate between rooms. We feed Maddie in this crate so it's a positive experience, and we also give her all her treats in this crate. We tell her "crate" when we're about to go out, and she goes in, knowing she'll get a treat. She now often goes in there during the day when the door is open to sleep when we're home, so I guess she's decided it's a good place!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, Cali was only crated at night (still is though when we're not home) up until, give or take, 4 months. The first few nights consisted of whining, tipped water dishes, poop in the front of the crate.. and just barely no sleep. After a few nights, she got the hang of it, and eventually she was allowed to just sleep on the bed. :) We did have her crate up on the side of my bed.. until one night she tipped it and I didn't notice until the morning.

On the other hand, you sound like you're doing wonderful with him! (ps.. pictures are now needed!)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
When Josefina was young she would whine when she had to use the bathroom (I only crated her at nite bc that's how it worked out, I'm not saying to only crate at nite lol just to be clear. I had to learn what her different whines meant, like a babies cries, she had a different whine for 'I need to go out' as opposed to 'I don't wan to be crated anymore' I also memorized when she needed to use the restroom (every pup has a time frame where they can 'hold it') & it helps if they are kept active during the day (sometimes just 'being' places is enough to tire a young pup out, we worked in a ranch & Josefins went everywhere with us... Still do but it's a different ranch lol) so she got a lot of stimulation every day & was pretty tuckered out by the end of the day)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sounds like you guys are doing well! When we first brought home our puppy she had a lot of accidents and whining in her crate. I ended up setting my alarm to get up with her a few times and take her out. We completely ignored whining. Although it is hard to know if they are just sad, or if they are telling you they need to go out! It only took a few weeks and she was sleeping fine and holding it longer, but it was not a fun 2 weeks!! We don't have her in the bedroom and she is ok with that. I would say to just keep at it, let your pup get used to you and he will be fine. It's almost like having a newborn in the house! I also was able to get my pup to potty on command outside and that is so great! they really are very smart from the beginning, so keep up your training and good luck getting through the next little while.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I have a rescue puppy currently that is about 9 weeks old. She was great the first night and has gradually got worse. I think she is pushing her boundaries. She has yet to go in her crate so I don't get up when she cries. She was left for almost 11 hours by herself yesterday due to an interstate being shut down. I got home and her crate was dry.

I cover the crate with a blanket and leave a radio or tv on in the room. That has helped with other puppies in the past and seems to be working as well now.
Your situation doesn't have anything to do with pushing her boundaries, UF Girl. A 9 week old puppy is very, very young. In fact, it's not usually recommended for pups to leave their mama before 8 weeks, so yours is super young still. The reason many puppies are good their first night, and then seem to get worse is that on their first night they are so stressed, and nervous, and fearful, that they are simply too exhausted to put up a fuss.
After the first night, they aren't so exhausted and tend to let more of their fears out.

My first puppy could go all night from about 9-10 weeks old. But, all my other puppies needed middle of the night bathroom breaks til about 12-16 weeks old, and one poor girl even longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts