Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
What are using the crate for? If it's for house-training, it's too big. Your dog should be able to turn around and stand up, but nothing more.

If it's to keep your dog, and household, safe when you're not home, it's probably fine. He's likely to mostly sleep in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are using the crate for? If it's for house-training, it's too big. Your dog should be able to turn around and stand up, but nothing more.

If it's to keep your dog, and household, safe when you're not home, it's probably fine. He's likely to mostly sleep in there.
It’s just for when we leave the house.

·
Super Moderator
11,680 Posts
Then it's fine. The reason for using a smaller crate for house-training is because most dogs* won't willingly urinate or deficate where they sleep. If the crate is too large, they'll use one part as a bedroom and another part as a bathroom.

*Common exceptions include some puppy mill dogs that are already accustomed to sleeping in their own filth.

·
Registered
566 Posts
FWIW, I purchased my crate based on the dog's adult size. The crate came with a divider wall so the "size" could be adjusted to suit the growing dog.

The crate is the 31 inch version of the MidWest Ovation series. This was a little more expensive than a crate to suit the dog's immediate size, but it was less expensive than getting 2 crates (one for puppy, one for adult). I have a miniature schnauzer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts