Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just stumbled upon these forums today and am intrigued by these 'crates' that everyone's talking about, I've never heard of them... Can anyone give me information or links? They sound great. I have 2 new puppies.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sure! There's a few different kinds of crates, it's basically a personal preference as to which kind you want. There is the wire kind:

and the plastic car carrier kind:

I'm not really sure of the advantages of the wire one, but that's why I chose a plastic one for Zoey. It's great to take her in the car with, and I like that she can't stick her paws and stuff out of the sides like they can in a wire crate. My grandma had a wire crate for her doxie, and she would always grab anything she could reach and yank it into her crate to destroy. Anyways, they are both good, so whatever you choose I'm sure will be just fine. You can get them pretty much anywhere.. I got Zoey's at Walmart.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We usually just use a "pet taxi" (the solid crate) for carrying our pets to the vets, and the wire one for crating our dogs at home. The only trouble is... if you have a particularly destructive dog, like my Aussie/GSD, Tori, then you may end up with a bent and broken cage, heh.

But yes, crates are great! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the dogs live in the crates?
I saw one poster who said her dogs is kept in his crate while she was at work. Aren't they too small? Or do the dogs not mind?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Our little dogs love them for many reasons, and so do we. We like them because if there is a night time accident while we're asleep (dogs sleep in the crates) the crate contains the mess. Don't have to clean all of the carpets the next day...

The dogs like them because as little dogs there are lots of times when we have company, especially little people, and our dogs prefer not to be played with. They retreat to their crate. If they have a prized toy or chew bone...they like to "own" it in the privacy of their crate. When one of them is sick or needs to eat special meals we feed in the crate so the other dogs don't get the wrong food. When I am at work my dogs are mostly sleeping and they like the nice fleecy crate bedding...and I don't have to worry about what they are getting into while I'm away.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So the dogs live in the crates?
I saw one poster who said her dogs is kept in his crate while she was at work. Aren't they too small? Or do the dogs not mind?
No, our dog doesn't live in her crate. Her crate is her special place that she can go to be alone or chew on her kong, but we -rarely- lock her in there. She sleeps in our bed with us at night, and only goes in her crate if I'm leaving and not taking her with. That only happens about once every 2 weeks or so as I don't work and pretty much everywhere we go, she can come. It's the grocery shopping trips she has to stay home for lol.. Many people do keep their dogs crated all day and at night though.. and apparently if they are properly crate trained they have no problems with it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Wow. This would be really cool.
Is it too late for an 11-week-old and a 15-week-old??
No, they should be just fine. :) I'm pretty sure you can crate train a dog at any age.

The first two nights we had Zoey (at 10 weeks) she slept in her crate in our room, and she was completely silent. But after that I just decided that I want her on the bed with us.. I like to be able to reach over and feel her soft fuzzy little body next to me.. and I like having her wake me up in the morning with little puppy licks. She's so sweet... She has yet to have an accident during the night.. she's very good at holding it, or waking us up if she has to go.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's never too late to crate train but it's easier with puppies like yours. Some take to it immediately but others will put up a hugh fuss until they realize that you won't give in to their antics. Here's one link about how to crate train: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

I also like to use ex-pens along with crates. If you go to http://www.petedge.com/ you can see the various types of crates and pens. And, believe me, once you've used crates, and possibly ex-pens also, you'll never be without them again.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have a wire crate that folds up and I like it because it's easy to transport. My basset bangs it all the time so it's very noisy though. I would like to replace it with a plastic one at some point and keep the wire crate around to transport the guy in. Last night I put him in there with a rawhide and he kept me up chewing on it and banging it on the crate while he did.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The plastic crates are more like a cave/den environment. I prefer them. It's a personal choice.
Well... not always just personal choice!

I have an Akita mix, and was asking if a wire or plastic crate would be better. Another Akita person sent me a pic of a plastic crate that had been eaten through by her Akita! Needless to say, I got a wire crate!

So... it also depends on the breed. :D What kind of puppies do you have?

I highly, highly recommend crate training! It's not only to save your house/sanity, but also for your puppies' safety! They can get into A LOT OF things when left to roam about.

Luna cried in her crate at first, but now she LOVES it. She goes to it when she's tired or scared. It's her own little safe place!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
In my opinion a crate is a training tool...the theory is that most dogs won't pee/poop where they sleep, so the puppy is trained to view the crate as a den and most of the time they won't potty in there. By crating when you a puppy aren't home or can't watch it, you can reduce potty accidents as well as chewing and destructive behavior.

I like to phase out the use of crates once the dog is house trained, first I phase out nighttime use, then during the day. My two oldest dogs are no longer crated. By border collie still is when I'm gone but not at night...he is highly destructive when left alone, so it's for his own safety. My puppy is also crated when I'm gone but not at night for now. I think crates can be very useful, but I also think crates can be over used, so I would use caution, only crate when you absolutely have to, and be prepared to give the dog plenty of exercise and stimulation when you're home.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I have two dogs and one of them is crated any time he's inside for the simple reason that he's an old, rescue dog with no house manners whatsoever. If he's loose in the house he is destructive and engages in the habit of counter cruising simply because he's never been taught better. If he's inside he's in the crate with a rawhide (which he loves to death). My other dog is very good inside and isn't locked in the crate when he's inside, but can often be found sleeping in there with the door open. Both are crated at night.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a spoodle and a blue heeler and currently, while we're at work, they poo and pee EVERYWHERE! We don't want to shove them outside all day, it's so hot at the moment, and we like them to be inside dogs. When we're at home, they have our full attention (we rarely do anything without them, other than work). Toilet training works while we're at home - the rest of the time they go nuts (not their fault, seeing as even if they wanted to get outside they couldn't).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
2puppies - Do you free feed your dogs? How much and what sort of food are they getting? This may have a lot to do with how much they are eliminating during the day.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We have a spoodle and a blue heeler and currently, while we're at work, they poo and pee EVERYWHERE! We don't want to shove them outside all day, it's so hot at the moment, and we like them to be inside dogs. When we're at home, they have our full attention (we rarely do anything without them, other than work). Toilet training works while we're at home - the rest of the time they go nuts (not their fault, seeing as even if they wanted to get outside they couldn't).
Sounds like a couple of crates will be invaluable to you!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well... not always just personal choice!

I have an Akita mix, and was asking if a wire or plastic crate would be better. Another Akita person sent me a pic of a plastic crate that had been eaten through by her Akita! Needless to say, I got a wire crate!

So... it also depends on the breed. :D What kind of puppies do you have?

I highly, highly recommend crate training! It's not only to save your house/sanity, but also for your puppies' safety! They can get into A LOT OF things when left to roam about.

Luna cried in her crate at first, but now she LOVES it. She goes to it when she's tired or scared. It's her own little safe place!
Trust me on this, there are as many wire crates destroyed as plastic. There is not a standard made wire or plastic crate that will hold an older med/lg sized dog(maybe 6 months and up)that wants to get out. The idea is to start them as puppies when they don't have strength necessary to break out. If started properly when they are strong enough, they don't want to or they assume they can't bust out and don't try. For problem type older dogs you have to jump to a heavy duty crate which will run from 300.00 to 600.00. This is a generalization not going to help or cover all dogs just a majority.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Trust me on this, there are as many wire crates destroyed as plastic. There is not a standard made wire or plastic crate that will hold an older med/lg sized dog(maybe 6 months and up)that wants to get out.
True, but I'm not necessarily talking about containing a dog that wants to get out... I'm talking about the fact that plastic crates are... well... plastic, and plastic can be more easily chewed than wire. A plastic crate is more likely to be wrecked by a dog that simply wants to chew.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2puppies - Do you free feed your dogs? How much and what sort of food are they getting? This may have a lot to do with how much they are eliminating during the day.
Nope, they get strict breakfast and dinner, some treats for training too.
My Mum had a puppy who took a while to settle down and get into a toilet routine, so I'm not particularly worried about the amount they're eliminating (besides the mess factor!) I've mentioned it to the vet when getting their vaccinations.
I'll have to talk to the husband about crates again. The first time I brought it up he didn't like the idea for the cost... so we'll see...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts